



2018-19 ASWU Meeting Minutes | **November 14th, 2018**

In attendance:

Tersa Almaw President	present
Andrews Boateng EVP	present
Chelsea Shearer FVP	present
Catalina Corvalan EAA	present
Rohini Vyas Campus Activities Coordinator	present
Amber Van Brunt Sports Events Coordinator	present
Morgan Bucher Sustainability Coordinator	present
Ethan Clardy Senior Class Coordinator	present
Jira Hammond PR/Marketing Coordinator	present
Abdul Haq Special Events Coordinator	present
Talya Jackson Spiritual Life Coordinator	present
Utsal Shrestha Cultural Events Coordinator	present
Emily Clemons Oliver Senator	present
James Parrish McMillan Senator	present
Jose Aguilera Warren Senator	present
Katie Rose Ballard Senator	present
Lauren Sfeir Arend Senator	present
Katie Ludlum Baldwin-Jenkins Senator	present
Sarah Haman Boppell Senator	present
Almat Yeraly Stewville Senator	present
Elizabeth Sanders Off-Campus Senator	present
David Martin Duvall Senator	present

Pema Tshogyal Off-Campus Representative	present
Erik Blank Off-Campus Representative	present
Grace Schmidt Off-Campus Representative	present
Christopher Clay Arend & Boppell Representative	proxy
Mitchell Anderson Baldwin-Jenkins & Stewart Representative	present
Gracey Gonzalez Duvall & Oliver Representative	present
Ehizogie Agbontaen Warren Representative	present
Karen Sobtafo Global Engagement Representative	present

Meeting brought to order at 5:01PM in ASWU Chambers.

Mission Statement read by Andrews.

Minutes from 11/14/2018 approved unanimously.

FVP Updates

Unallocated and Capital

Chelsea: Unallocated: \$18,708.64

Capital: \$18,464.00

Chartering Updates & Committee Recommendations

Chelsea: Head's up from club charter committee. History club is a recharter, so we don't have to vote on it, just a point of information. Kaly sherwood, that's their contact person.

Poor People's Campaign is working on getting chartered--we don't have a constitutional say on it yet, we'll vote on that soon. Does that make sense?

From finance committee, we have three points, two which need voting.

First is KIPOS, asking \$611 from capital. Point of information regarding capital and unallocated; capital is intended for 3-5 years of use. The Arend TV came from capital, since it will last 3-5 years. For a speaker, it's unallocated, not gonna last 3-5 years. That's the background on that.

For the \$611, they want supplies for the shed to have meetings. It's found in the KIPOS garden. I have pictures in here, it's a cute requisition. They do cute stuff, I'll pass it around, they do stuff like painting w veggies.

They want supplies for their meetings, which include furniture, chalkboard, dining table, things of that nature, planning to get it from thrift stores. Finance committee recommended to pass. Questions?

Lizzie: Before Morgan turned it in, I talked to her, and all of KIPOS worked hard on this, and wrote a paragraph of the money breakdown, what they were gonna use the money for, and its for good work, I think we should pass it.

Erik: There's lots of thought that went into it. Wanted money for furniture, they've had a problem with rats, furniture would help against that. It would be a long term investment.

Katie R: Move to approve recommendation.

Lauren: 2nd.

Motion to approve recommended KIPOS requisition

Approved: 15

Opposed: 0

Abstained: 1

Motion passed.

Chelsea: 2nd requisition is dually-jointed from UMOJA and BSU, last week we voted on the speaker, which passed, and they're asking for \$615, split in middle said, so \$307.50. They're bringing Dr. Okera, who will speak on importance of kwanzaa. It's \$300 for speaker, \$225 for food, \$60 to tech, and \$15 for decorations, \$15 for posters and fliers. That's the breakdown of their expenses. It was recommended to pass.

Lizzie: Move to approve.

Katie R: 2nd.

Motion to approve recommended BSU/UMOJA requisition

Approved: 15

Opposed: 0

Abstained: 1

Motion passed.

Chelsea: Lastly, this needs no vote, BJ asking for ping pong table, for \$200, and finance committee passed it. Congrats Katie. And that's where we're at.

Club Updates

Business Club

Mae Curtis | mcurtis19@my.whitworth.edu

I'm Ari, Business Club president, and what we've done this year is brought in local business speakers, from Hello Sugar. They also own Strategy Lab, a

marketing business, so it's cool to see the business and food aspect world. We also had the art director from Union Gospel Mission, show us the non profit and business side of things. We had a resume workshop, and will have a Linked-In workshop soon, after Thanksgiving. Whole purpose is to offer opportunities that will put students in working world. We are business focused, but open to all majors, so it's open to all. Like the resume workshop, anyone can attend. Please let people know that. Spring semester, we'll be having mini speaker series, on different concentrations, like economics, management, accounting, different aspects, and have 2-3 speakers from each, so to have a dynamic view of what it could look like.

Questions?

Lauren: When do you meet?

Ari: We meet Thursdays 11:45am in Wey 203.

Swing and Ballroom Dance Club

Colleen Bell | cbell20@my.whitworth.edu

Hello, I'm the president, Colleen. We meet Saturdays at 7:30 pm in Graves Gym, for dance lessons and social dances, and just to hang out. We do a bunch of different styles. We've done east coast, charleston, foxtrot, and waltz. We will continue foxtrot and waltz this Sat, to prepare for our biggest event of year, the Yule ball, it's our 3rd annual, it will be held December 1st, 7:30PM in MPR. It's a partnership with Westminster Round and live music from Jazz II, and at the Deck the Halls event, our biggest event of the year.

Spring semester; we want to get some guest instructors, for Latin and Blues, and lindy hop, a fun 50's dance, also planning a fancy 1920's theme ball to benefit a local charity for May.

Contact is cbell20@my.whitworth.edu.

EVP Updates

Food Advisory Committee

Andrews: So next Monday, during lunch and dinner times, I'll have a table by HUB, to get people interested for this committee. If you know anyone, give them my email. Senators, put it in your newsletters.

Jose: What times?

Andrews: Lunch and dinner times.

Student Highlight

Andrews: Sophie White is the CMC from Warren, and she's doing an amazing job to reach out to residents, and also submitted the design for sweatshirts.

President Updates

Library & Info Resources Committee

Lauren: Katie and I went yesterday, basically this committee talks about the needs of the library and concerns and resources. Focus was on media, DVDs, and media streams; they have a \$6000 budget for rights to show movies in classes and other settings. \$10000 goes to AVON, for streaming for video and shows. It can be found in the library website resources. We have rights for many DVDs, any with yellow sticker, we have rights to show for primetimes, but there's other rules, like you can't show movies without the sticker, and can't advertise on social media, or you can get in trouble. We have a contract with Swank too, about more popular movies, and any questions talk to Jason.

Katie R: adding to that, a showing, even if casual, you have to be careful with how you advertise it. Disney Company is always on lookout for violators of rights. There's also different prices of rights to different amount of people shown. So advertise, be careful with what kind of movie, and the type of ad, if primetime, make sure it has the yellow sticker.

Jason: This extends to Netflix. Netflix is copyrighted if original show. When you purchase a DVD or netflix subscription, you pay the private rights, not public rights. Contact me, with anything about copyright.

Teri: Questions for them?

Grace: What's considered a big group?

Jason: if you don't advertise, then you can technically skirt the rules that way. But if you are going to advertise, we can talk about it.

James: what if you say "just watching a movie"? Can you say that?

Jason: they're gonna ask what movie, so no.

Lizzie: "mystery movie night"?

Sarah: "popcorn gathering". "Popcorn party"!

Jose: word of mouth?

Jason: it's not written down, so they can't prove it, yeah.

Teri: just obey the laws, okay?

University Council Meeting

Teri: We started with Pirates Persist, checked where they're at. Guest speaker was Ben *Civilia*. He talked about how you are creating the institution so people

stay for the long term, you have to see things through. Also that one must put money in some of these things. Stuff like that.

Also, had an update from Lorna about the Diversity Action Plan and they've three goals.

One was creating groups for professors, all faculty and staff, to improve on how they interact with students on matters they might not be aware of. Teaching them fundamental skills on importance of diversity. First group was yesterday, 46 people attended. Many were saying that they're having good feedback, learning lots. Want to come back to learn more.

They're doing really good on that for faculty and staff, making them more aware on how to interact with one another, and their environment. Our meeting was 2-hrs long, can't say everything, but questions?

Alex: way to access the Action Plan online? Also, do you have any feelings on whether it's too conservative or enough challenging?

Teri: You know what... I have this sheet that details that.

Utsal: It's 32 pages, i can send it.

Jason: each dept is responsible for creating its own plan, not just what's out there, and they're constantly updated to reflect what's happening.

Teri: what you got is a very broad of what's going to happen. Departmental plans are much more specific. Tailored to positions.

Utsa: the diversity cabinet is meeting soon, following up on the plan, so I can give us an update on what's happening there.

Upcoming Events

Off Campus 90's Night

Lizzie: Such great enthusiastic. I'm the off campus senator for those that don't know. So our event is Friday, not many new updates, specifically to ASWU, Abdul and I are working to designate people for tech help, because of International Festival, we are short on those people. If you don't feel completely clueless, please help. Large need, just need to follow instructions and do the setting up before. Abdul is performing and will later come in, and needs help with Anthony. Ticket sales are going well. McGinnity Room this Friday. Senators, if you could, newsletters go before Friday, advertise in your media pages that juniors can attend, we have enough tickets, and because many of them have moved off campus, let them know. RAs too.

James: Junior and senior class standing or actual year?

Lizzie: Year at whitworth. So if you are graduating at 2019 or 2020. If your email ends in 19 or 20 you're welcome.

Abdul: we have a few lights from amazon, if you could please sign for that, change your shift to come early, I'll brief you before going in.

Katie L: if we go, does that mean we can't help with international festival?

International Festival

Utsal: international Festival is this Friday, 7-8pm, \$10 without meal plan. Going to be fun, have dance party after, and will have shuttle to Lizzie's event, talking about that now.

Andrews: for a community member, is it \$10?

Utsal: \$10 for everyone.

Unveiled

Talya: next one is this upcoming Monday, the 19th, from 7:30-8:30. I was bad at advertising, so please let everyone know, this has lots of meaning, and has a different angle going for this time. Come to Unveiled!

Also, there's a summer fellowship program, you get \$3000 stipend, for mentor- and discipleship, and you get a homestay with a family in the area. If you have questions, I'm not the best one, but talk to Kathryn McInturff at khendrick@whitworth.edu. Applications are tomorrow due at midnight.

Me and some of reps are also teaming up for the cold cup drive. If people are interested, tell them a bit about it, that this helps people who need supplies, remedies for cold and come to Union Gospel Mission Clinic. Hopefully between now and Nov 30 we'll get lots of participation.

Deck The Halls

Lauren: Basically, it is Arend Christmas event, December 1st 8:30-10:30. ~~Have to check if it might be 10PM.~~ First two halls are decorated in movie themes, and have we have actors in each room, so it's interactive. This year is the Polar Express and Nightmare Before Christmas. We're working on scripts. I have a sign up sheet, need some help with cleaning out decorations. Have some times for groups, so I'll pass it around. We will also have sign ups during swing and ball dance for Yule ball, we'll have a table and people sign for a specific time. 8 people at a time, and they go through the movie. If any group of residents are interested, I can reserve a time slot, otherwise, they can sign in Arend or at Yule ball. \$1 per person.

Utsal: what's the theme, and what will be different than last year?

Lauren: Last year we had Grinch and Home Alone, 2 different movies. Every couple of years we bring back movies, and send a survey and people vote on it. This year, there's two different themes: a more scary one and a nicer Christmas one, people come to Arend and have fun. It'll be different; I'm helping residents put this up, they've been super hyped, and I want to help them make this their event.

Utsal: are you open to suggestions?

Lauren: movies are already chosen, I send the surveys to Arend residents. Arend chooses. But give me them and I can add it for next year. I'll put it for next year's survey.

Constituency Reports & Campus Vibes

Arend

Sweatshirts ordered, by the time we come back they should be here. TV should be here next week. Currently working on deck the halls.

BJ

We're getting a new table and working on our shirts.

Stewart

Nothing again.

Teri: are the windows fixed?

Almat: the main one yes, they'll paint the window after Thanksgiving break. There was a squid on it. Getting there.

Duvall

For sweatshirts, I contacted the zome guy this morning. On their way, should arrive next week. And Duvall's Dance is getting planned, will be finished tomorrow.

Oliver

So we had a big problem with the zome website, and it charged my card 40 times, for a total of \$900, my bank account put on hold. I stopped the site, everybody that ordered will get their sweatshirt same day, but we're getting two different orders.

Oliver Twist was fun, got over 200 people. Went great.

Warren

Got a design for sweatshirts, haven't been able to call, my phone is broken. Another thing--a phone is very useful to have. Working on more research about whiteboards, want to be specific on type of whiteboard to requisition for. Will requisition for next Sunday, and be ready for that meeting.

Boppell

Coffeehouse is coming up. All tasks are covered, getting done. Posters should be there, will pick them up. Half of performance spaces are filled already, haven't even advertised yet. First half is people who I already know will do good job, second half is new performers who I haven't contacted yet. Sweatshirt nightmare is over. Ethan and I called him last week after ASWU, talked to us for a really long time. Everything's great.

Ballard & Mac

Katie R: Tonight is BMac Thanksgiving, got some free food from Sodexo. Today is their dinner too, grateful that they put aside food for us. We have a sign for people to write thank yous on too. Will have 10-15 tables and people can drink, eat, and be merry.

James: This is also our service project, people will pay \$2 or bring a pie, and we'll donate that money to a charity that Mac leadership will decide on.

Talya: Have you decided on one yet?

Katie: Let me know if you have ideas, haven't any yet.

Off campus

Last week, we started with a huge interest in composting. Now we have a huge task in our hands, but it's a good problem to have. Working to have more eco reps off campus, and with KIPOS and Morgan and that we're fully staffed. We got buckets today. Houses reached out already. Will be developing a route to pick up compost, so it's easier for people to do it. People will bring those themselves for now, and after 90's Dance, we'll set that up.

Global Engagement

Nothing new.

Katie R: I think a general vibe right now is that zome is not working, not doing a good job so far.

Andrews: Good to know, for next year.

Sarah: 3 quick things. First is tomorrow, in mind and hearth, 6:30PM, is Poetry and Pie, pretty cool event, if you are not doing anything or don't want something active, come listen to people write about stuff they've worked on. Second, I saw a thing pop on Whitworth FB, under registrar's office, that if you need a recommendation letter or reference letter from faculty or staff, you must sign a release form. Good thing to know, haven't heard that I need to sign a waiver, or fac and staff would violate FERPA.

Talya: what if they've sent it already and the program got it?

Sarah: probably sign it anyway. Registrar's master forms list. Weird you have to happen to find it on FB.

Talya: Is it free?

Jason: yes, just a form. Don't need a new one every time, just once that faculty and staff are allowed to talk about your academic performance. Part of new FERPA training.

Sarah: Finally, tomorrow from 5-6 in MPR is a Source Integration Workshop for learning how to integrate sources. Pretty good to know, so that's happening then.

Amber: our football team doing very, very well, round 32 in NCAA tournament. They'll play at home because we're undefeated, and so, tickets are \$5, but ASWU is covering first 150. Most likely get in free, but it's a big deal, they haven't been there since 2006, we should try to support.

Utsal: this month is Native American Heritage month. Planning to do posters for awareness, so if you have any suggestions or ideas, feel free to talk to me or other coordinator. Something important that we talked about, and that ASWU is pushing, is that we start events with Honoring the original caretakers of the land, so let's stick to it. Cultural awareness week is going great. Tibet and Buddhist philosophy was yesterday, people seemed to enjoy it. Guatemalan Weaving today, tried it, it was fun. International Education Forum is tomorrow, and Friday is International Festival, 5 pm, and then 7 pm.

Karen: The 29th of this month will be a Diversity Monologue Workshop, prepping ahead, since last year lots of people participated. 4:30-6PM in MPR. Diversity Monologues is a big performance, 7-8 students write monologues, this year's theme is how do you get to know freedom, usually very powerful.

Utsal: last year's video on monologue is on youtube.

Jesse: Hello, I'm the Vice President of Generation Action, tomorrow we're screening in Eric Johnston, *Reversing Roe*, and it's history of trying to reverse it. It examines all sides of argument, and later, will have discussion, questions prepared. Bring your intelligence and questions. Roe v Wade is a supreme court decision that legalized abortion in the United States. Check with your health science dept. class or core 250, and ask if it counts for credit, some dept have given us answers, but check!

Utsal: Diversity Monologues will be March 4th.

Lizzie: Shoutout to Amber for Monday Mania, she was so incredible and planned out, and I was blessed to be under her rule.

Michaela: Seniors in room, you've got an email, submit your picture to the yearbook. You can now submit your own, hats are allowed... email your photo, hometown and major.

Lizzie: Deadline?

Michaela: Dec 1st.

Abebaye: Nov 29th is Kwanzaa Forum, 6:30-7:30 in MPR, chance for everyone to learn. Tell your residents, please come.

Shout-outs

Abdul: Utsal for cultural awareness week, Lied Square looks beautiful with all the flags, Top Chef, have heard good things about that.

Andrews: Emily for Oliver Twist.

Amber: all those who came and helped with Monday Mania. Went well because of yall. Jason and James, stayed unscrewing things until midnight; I appreciated help.

Utsal: Those who've helped with awareness week, especially international club team, Abebaye, Karen, Ana, Lulu, Sangi.

Talya: To Mitchell for helping place boxes in HUB for cold cup drive. Alex for love and support. Utsal as well. Unveiled team, they take a lot of extra time.

Lizzie: Morgan, for composting help.

Lauren: off campus crew.

Andrews: to you all, for taking time off for retreat.

Teri: taking time off on sunday.

Sarah: Chelsea; her job is so hard. We respect everything you do.

Jason: Abdul and Rohini for representing WU at NACA conference this weekend.

Erik: move to adjourn.

James: 2nd.

Meeting adjourned at 6:07 PM.