



2018-19 ASWU Meeting Minutes | **October 31st, 2018**

In attendance:

Tersa Almaw President	present
Andrews Boateng EVP	present
Chelsea Shearer FVP	present
Catalina Corvalan EAA	present
Rohini Vyas Campus Activities Coordinator	present
Amber Van Brunt Sports Events Coordinator	present
Morgan Bucher Sustainability Coordinator	present
Ethan Clardy Senior Class Coordinator	present
Jira Hammond PR/Marketing Coordinator	present
Abdul Haq Special Events Coordinator	present
Talya Jackson Spiritual Life Coordinator	present
Utsal Shrestha Cultural Events Coordinator	absent
Emily Clemons Oliver Senator	present
James Parrish McMillan Senator	present
Jose Aguilera Warren Senator	present
Katie Rose Ballard Senator	present
Lauren Sfeir Arend Senator	present
Katie Ludlum Baldwin-Jenkins Senator	present
Sarah Haman Boppell Senator	present
Almat Yeraly Stewville Senator	present
Elizabeth Sanders Off-Campus Senator	present
David Martin Duvall Senator	present

Pema Tshogyal Off-Campus Representative	present
Erik Blank Off-Campus Representative	absent
Grace Schmidt Off-Campus Representative	present
Christopher Clay Arend & Boppell Representative	present
Mitchell Anderson Baldwin-Jenkins & Stewart Representative	present
Gracey Gonzalez Duvall & Oliver Representative	present
Ehizogie Agbontaen Warren Representative	present
Karen Sobtafo Global Engagement Representative	present

Meeting brought to order at 5:01 PM in ASWU Chambers.

Mission Statement read by Sara Trujillo.

Minutes from 10/24/2018 approved anonymously.

Larry Probus | lprobus@my.whitworth.edu

Vice President of Finance and Administration

Thank you for inviting me on a fun night. I'm here to give you an overview of the upcoming changes on campus.

The Beeksma Chapel expansion was a big project. Here's the background on how this started: every building project is based on donation, so we look for donors who want to fund them, and once funding is there, we make plans and break ground.

On the Horizon: The Cowles Stage renovation. It's had technical problems, where roof wasn't made for handling all the light, and we need to rebuild back end of theater so it's solid with state of the art rigging. These effects will make it look different. So that is first phase of 2.

The 2nd is around the back, we'll have a blackbox for intimate stage productions. We don't have the money for that, so we don't know when, but be prepared for that.

A donor offered to update the air quality of aquatics center, as well as we'll add more windows for more lighting, deck refinished, and this divider...don't know the term for it...

Ethan: The bulkhead?

Larry: Yes, it will be changed and moved. Hopefully this starts by Spring 2019.

The athletic leadership center, which will house coaches and the football team, like lockers, will start in Spring and take 2 years to finish, or about 18 months. Be ready for it on Fall of 2020.

Sarah: So will that be where Graves is?

Larry: No, this is phase 1. Phase 2 is a new fieldhouse, with a basketball and conference center, and that'll be where Graves is. Graves in the long-term will be replaced. This (phase 1) is on other side of tennis courts, which is open land right now.

The Whitworth Water District will be moving this winter, so we'll be buying it, and that's where facilities will move to. That's because this will be the result of our envisioned STEAM Lab, or sciences technology engineering art and math lab. Also known as a Makers' Space, this is where we house 3D printers, students workshops, and other facilities they can use. There'll be classrooms for engineering and physics, but it's all in the designing phase, this won't start this spring. We need money, we think we will raise it, but that's still happening. Behind the smokestack, we might have a new health sciences building. As you know, we're working on a graduate program and expansion of the Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy programs, unfortunately, because we still need to wait for accreditation, and facilities, and still make final decisions, this is 3-years out, so the first class to enjoy this will be long after you're gone. The long term idea is this new health science center building on other side.

Hawthorne road restaurant is something you will be able to enjoy, which will be a new dining facility and retail store, and will be adjacent to Hawthorne, which right now is an area of theme houses. Sodexo would manage these for us, but will be a separate brand--let me take an informal poll, do you guys prefer a full-on Starbucks or Panera?

A Panera is Beck Taylor's option too. This is still being discussed to finalize, but Sodexo would build it for us. and we'd extend their contract for 10 years. They've been our partner for 40 some years. Details still working out. Probably two more years until open, in fall 2020.

Hawthorne will also be renovated, during jan term, we will convert classrooms into offices, and we will be approving the funding for expanding the gathering area on right, making it bigger with more windows. Depends on funding which is that that is not spent from our budget, we have historically have kept that money, so we might be ready for the fall 2019. Hopefully not delayed.

Summertime is time to replace dorm windows, it's time for that.

Feedback, questions, concerns? Parking is usually an issue...

Sara: So what happens if we build a new Hendrick's Hall?

Larry: It won't be new, its currently a gathering lounge area, kitchen--

Sara: The ISC, yes.

Larry: Yeah, the walls would be taken out and that are expanded, but building area would be renovated and expanded.

Anna: How can we go about as to make it a higher priority?

Larry: I would love to hear more, we've talked about it, if this restaurant opens, bookstore would move there too, so that old area would be open and available, we are also thinking of perhaps remodeling MPR. New building is unlikely unless we find a donor for that specifically. We're looking at other locations or spaces instead.

Katie R: Going back to the accreditation report, which had a concern regarding the ISC; how do we go about making it a priority, instead of waiting for excess money, can we ask for it directly?

Larry: High probability for funding this summer, making every effort to make that happen.

Talya: what can we do to help?

Larry: I'll ask the fundraising team, good questions, thank you.

Sarah: There's been many rumors about Stewart and Village, and that space. What's going to happen to it?

Larry: This project is longer out, but our objective is for a dorm to replace this space, this will take borrowing money, so I'm currently taking a look with different banks at how to borrow money and do this in following years. Year from now, we might start breaking ground. Stewart will be having new windows. Village is high on priority list.

Almat: Share more about the building replacing Village.

Larry: 10 years ago, we designed a dorm; in 2 weeks, I'll have a meeting about it, might need to update design. It is currently 160 beds, good size, like Oliver.

Andrews: If moving facilities to where Whitworth Water is, might it not be too far from rest of campus?

Larry: Centralization is an issue, might invest in new golf carts, students who need to go to facilities, it's a concern, but facilities right now are in pretty bad--need to be replaced. It'd be perfect in future for STEAM and Health Sciences.

Morgan: Heard about Lola Lane, I'm involved in Environmental Justice campaign, we're concerned about long-term.

Larry: This project is 3-yr out probably, we own most of houses there. Some not, but we talked to Rockwood Senior Living, we'd like to create a more diverse neighborhood, and they could serve there, or alumni could live there. Or, if we do graduate programs, we might consider apartments for grad students. It is 3-years off though. Occasionally discussed, we're blessed with lots of land, we can find another location to place the garden.

Morgan: Right, just have in consideration that we placed new trees, but...thank you.

Larry: Contact me in McEachran, good to call before, and would be glad to talk and hear your comments. We will have more organized meetings on restaurant concept, that we're incorporating meeting rooms, etc. and need student feedback on best design for students.

HEAT | whitworthheat@gmail.com

Health Education Action Team

Mutsa: Good evening, this is Anya and Mutsa, from HEAT. Honor to present this initiative that we're working on past year. This presentation is mainly for efforts to help campus make more aware and go over the surveys we've had.

Our rationale for this policy: the exposure of any amount of smoke, like tobacco, is harmful to the human body, and we don't want students exposed to any amount. About 2000 campus have already gone smoke-free and many of them tobacco-free. Our peers are under that range. We don't want it to be a hindrance to students that don't want to smoke.

Anya: In light of this rationale, how does this involve Whitworth? HEAT has done programming, in October last year we started the Holy Smokes Event, started conversation about what would happen in smoke free campus, social issues of smoking and addiction. Invited panel, and discussed. 65 attendees total, evaluation given, and 73.4% saw themselves in smoke and tobacco-free environment. The Great American Smokeout was later, in November, and we had the city council president Ben Stuckart come in and share their experience in smoking and quitting. We had booths, like counselor, Human Resources, Student health center, and us, to make it inclusive and have different perspectives. A lot of educational information about what's happening and what's happening in US. In addition to education programming we've done passive programming since then, such as Kick Butts Day, another national event, to reject smoking. Campus posters from American Cancer Society, and newsletters around campus on negative effects of vaping.

Mutsa: Survey reports: we had 2 surveys, one by faculty and staff in Feb. 2018. 531 surveys taken, and only 2% smoked. On student surveys, 750, and only 8.4% were smokers at the time. Questions were mainly on policy that geared us to make that final decision. If we look at faculty staff side, regarding an annoyance of secondhand smoke 49.4% said yes v. 47.5% yes of students. Do colleges have a responsibility to reduce risk of smoke, 35.7 agreed in fac staff and 31.4% yes of students. When asked if they do they have responsibility to have policy, this is what prompted to start policy, was that 80.9% of fac staff

agreed, and 57.9% of students said yes, so it is what campus was agreeing on already.

There's a task force that was created and been meeting since Feb last year, made of different representatives on campus, like from Student Life, Health Center, International club, to address potential concerns that may arise. And on meetings, the topic that always came up was the draft policy. We have handed out copies, gone through many drafts, so read through it and let us know with your feedback. They've taken time to think about most groups of campus, might not be easy thing, but it will benefit most people.

We don't expect people who smoke to stop overnight, this policy isn't to tell you to stop, but that you can't smoke here. If you wish to stop smoking, we will be having smoking cessation products through health center, staff of health center will be trained on it. There will be grace period, products at no cost. Will continue to educate community as long as needed.

Questions?

Lauren: would student leaders be responsible for enforcement?

Anya: security is on task force, and enforcement will be similar to dry campus policy. First a warning, if persist, will be asked to leave. Again, this is on security and facilities to deal with them, but as students we have to enforce culture, though.

Morgan: what are cessation products?

Mutsa: guides, the gums, all of that.

Katie R: Will this include...what kind of smoke? I don't know what young people are into nowadays.

Mutsa: you don't even know, they come as USB portals now. Industry has been trying to attract youth, so we're encouraging everyone to learn about different ways vaping and smoking can be like, and how to not have these on campus.

Rohini: How long is grace period?

Mutsa: A semester, this will be implemented Jan 2019, and that semester will be grace period. Fall is when enforcing starts.

Katie R: Not all students pay attention to email, and won't read rules, so how will you tell students that there's this policy instead of just email?

Anya: We've talked to communication department, will create website in convention with health center, and in our future plans, we will have the policy on there. Good way for people to login and see, and it's in the works, newsletters and posters, and word of mouth.

Mutsa: Will have signage on facilities, to tell people to be off 25 ft. The signs will be minimal and not distracting. More towards smoke-free and tobacco-free instead of uninviting, "Do Not."

Katie L: It's good to have this awareness of smoking, but the stigma that it brings it can be shaming on people, because sometimes, smoking is not in people's choice, there's other factors there. And it furthers the shame on individuals by banning smoking. Students will smoke no matter what. 11 at night, midnight, and they might leave campus, which might not be safe. They will do it, and it's a concern for my residents.

Mutsa: We will take that to task force, because security has done great job in transporting students, and students call them when they need them, but what if they have smoked? we need to find balance, since they're supposed to help you.

Abdul: In the town hall, I've addressed this too, people will go off campus, we live in dry campus already, potentially meet smokers, maybe marijuana smokers, might have negative impact on those who go out of campus?

Mutsa: There should not be that kind of impact. You can still go off campus and smoke, there's currently more representation of tobacco smokers than others, so can't say, as opposed to assume on their part.

Thank you for having us, if you have more questions, please email us or use the feedback cards.

FVP Updates

Unallocated and Capital

Chelsea: Unallocated: \$18,708.94

Capital: \$20,000.00

Teachers of Tomorrow

Lilly Fuentes | lfuentes20@my.whitworth.edu

My name is Lilly Fuentes, I'm VP. We're a newly funded club, this is our first whole year. President Jeb couldn't be here. Our meetings are on Wed.

Kids are our fellow colleagues, as you can see here. In our first meeting, we got 20 people which is awesome. We meet every Wed. and we also have a coordinating team that meet Fri before each meeting. Chris is one of our advisors. We're getting a new one, too. Our root beer float social was our first event, and then our Christian Teachers in Public Schools, where teachers came out and explained what we can and cannot do in classrooms. It was very informational, over 20 people attended that on October 23rd.

Coming up next, Mandy Manning is coming to give a speech Nov 15th , 6-9 in RTT. She won teacher of year 2017, and will be awesome. It is open for all.

Another event is the GLAD strategy event which has been implemented on curriculums on how we teach. 6 days of information will be condensed into 2 hours. Also, the School of Education Info Night, by the Student Advisory Board of the SOE will meet Dec 5th for a night where seniors share their practicum, eat food, we'll have prizes, and a good night of fun while learning about education system.

David: best way to contact?

Lilly: We don't have a club email set yet, but right now, not set lfuentes20@my.whitworth.edu. We also have a FB page, the TOTs, get it.

Model UN

Theresa Chowa | whitworthmodelunitednations@gmail.com

Theresa: Our mission is to help students engage with international policy and intercultural dialogue. We do research and debating, and simulating with other colleges in Spokane, we're trying to reach out to others in area too. We have set team of 10 and will travel to Portland, but if people are interested in next academic year, they can be part of club next year. This is our first full year, and have worked closely with Gonzaga Model UN, working to go to the PNW Model UN Conference February 17-18, and is what we're preparing for right now. Will be putting fundraising for Portland trip, this Tuesday 7-8PM.

Andrews: Why are you not accepting? Sounds exclusive!

Theresa: We are an academic club, and it is difficult to take people at this time in semester, we're doing research and writing papers to prepare for simulations and we can't have others randomly.

Michell: Could you take people, but not for trip?

I guess we could make an exception, and they can come to observe, but not for membership at this time.

Mutsa: What is this conference in PNW Model UN?

Theresa: It's a simulation similar to ones with Gonzaga, will involve Reed College, SPU, and those that meet up and do mock debates of the general assembly, being different consuls, but because it's higher level, you do research about topic 2-months prior. And then practice debate.

Sarah: Consider working with WCC for papers?

Theresa: We have our set resources, with Dr. Patrick van Inwegen, who is an expert, but we will take that up. Thank you!

EVP Updates

Welcome GER

Andrews: Introduce new member, Karen, stand up! Her role will represent international student voices, so say hello.

Sweatshirts

Andrews: Senators, show of hands on who's received and are ready to distribute? (0) Those who've ordered? (2) About to order, have a design? (3)

Katie L: Don't have a design yet, about to have it soon. We're working on ours.

Chelsea: Did she say about to?

Katie L: 3 days.

Lizzie: Bookstore said if I don't put "off campus" on it, I'm stealing their sales.

Teri: make it super tiny in a corner!

David: set on design but person from company is taking his time to reply.

Sarah: Me too. All the balls are on his court!

Student Highlight

Students are Makayla and Morgan. They're pretty good housemates. Morgan is in many sustainability related groups, doing great work. Makayla was serving the community during her impact trip in spokane.

President Updates

Town Hall Meeting

How to Vote Smart

Town Hall will be tomorrow; Dr. Patrick Van Inwegen, Dr. Leal from History, and campus pastor, Lauren Taylor who will go further into the importance of voting, and how to do our civic duty while being responsible and respectful of our neighbors. Will also have free pizza. MPR, 6-7:30. I'll send the digital, so post about it. Also it's core 250 extra credit. So you can tie it to hermeneutical injustices and what not.

Upcoming Events

Monday Mania

Amber: Okay, ready, set, let's go.

Saturday is Football Tailgate, Jason and I will have burgers and hot dogs cooking, Will have *Bumpertruck* food truck and free coffee to first 100 students, Will need help from 10-10:30 for unloading.

Monday mania, again, is Nov 12th, we all get longleeve for helping out.

Off Campus 90's Night

Lizzie: Nov 16th in McGinnity room. I will have a day for decorations. Sign up sheet for help will be coming in soon, this will be awesome. 300-400 people are expected to attend, big event. There will be a bar for students over 21, we're getting a DJ, too. \$5 tickets in HUB info desk. Questions?

Talya: Just off campus students?

Lizzie: Off campus and seniors, and Andrews who thinks is a senior.

Also it is Ethan's event so all senior upperclassmen too, if it starts to show there's not enough tickets sold, then we will open to others, but might not create enough space otherwise, not fair to these off campus and senior students, or their money.

Campus Reports & Vibes

Arend

Deck the Hall event will be Dec. 1st, li will send survey on what movie residents decide to watch, will coordinate with leadership. We're getting a new TV, exciting.

BJ

Working on sweatshirts, we got more than one design--I actually have 20. Looking for pingpong table, and a service project, and working with RAs, we want a primetime Christmas Party.

Stewart

I don't really have any at the moment. Bathrooms still leaking, window was replaced.

Duvall

Waiting on company for sweatshirts, we will have *an event* early Dec or late November, stil hashing out plans.

Oliver

We have Oliver Twist next Sat, the 10th, forgot to mention it to Cat. We will also have Duvoliver, a Duvall-Oliver community event, with free food. And if you

want free Jimmy Johns, come through. Process of sweatshirts estimating for 19 of november.

Teri: vegetarian options?

David: they will have vegetarian options.

Warren

Concerns on sweatshirts. Only one submission for designs and so I want to extend deadline for those, even go door to door and see if they have time, cause midterms and fall break happened, some people are out.

Boppell

Boppell's big event will be on Nov 30th, with Bop Coffeehouse in MPR, won't need any help, but great if you could come. Will have live music and free coffee. 8PM. Shorter by half hour this time!

Ballard

Operation Christmas Child is happening. Boxes should be here by Nov 6th, will have the primetime to fill a box Nov 8th. If you have the desire to stuff a box for a child, come through!

Mac

Quad hosted movie weekend for those who stayed on campus, and sleepover, and 3 students who aren't from Quad did stay, we watched John Wick I, John Wick II, and Crazy Stupid Love. Most intended.

Off campus

Vibes are great. Trying to create better sustainability programs with Morgan, with compost bins, and ways to collect that. Sodexo wants to promote themselves too, will have free PB&J for off campus students soon.

Abdul: I have a concern with international student support, just to remember, beginning of year we agreed to have no passive aggressiveness. The trip was scheduled to go, and it happened, but when it came to voting, the amount was changed. I felt like it was unfair on that regard, and especially on the basis of why it was lowered, no offense to Finance Committee, but maybe do a better job of deciding. We had 8 people on that trip while 14 people were signed, both trips, that from ACM, had different motives. These students visited to Seattle Trip was just sightseeing, on culture, and international students know

nothing of US culture, so my concern was why that was not enough. Each case should be reviewed on individual basis, fortunately, we were able to find the funding, and it happened. But it would've been jeopardized; I took this trip in my freshman year, I thought it was helpful for exposure to US culture, while people who went now, most wouldn't have been able to afford it. My concern-- I think we should have been more fair to minorities on campus, and that just because it doesn't affect us, we shouldn't care about it.

Jira: The Nov calendar won't print until Monday, so if you have an event, submit it to me. Katie, that's an important primetime, if you have a primetime that is really good, not random--rather, impactful--let me know and I'll add it. People here that belong to clubs, let me know. I'll make an announcement at end of november for December calendar too.

Talya: Tomorrow, I'll be kicking off cup drive, if students want to buy supplies for UGM, they will be in res halls. CMCs will be my eyes, there will be locations around HUB. Advertisements coming soon. Spread the word-- this will go on from 1st to 30th of November.

Morgan: I have concerns about advertisements in classrooms. They're a space where learning is happening, and I notice that ads show up, for study abroads, programs that are not with Whitworth programs, and youtube advertisements--most professors aren't exactly tech savvy enough to skip ahead. But those appear, and they're a distraction and I don't like the idea of money being made in classrooms, unethical. We're paying to go here, but still 3rd parties shouldn't be there. There's software that maybe tech could install; those from libraries? What are the rules in place for those?

Teri: The guy that came at beginning, i could talk to him.

Jason: Anything that happens in classrooms go to provost, Carol Simon or Brooke Kiener. They control what happens within classroom.

Morgan: There's also posters sometimes in locations, are there limits for those?

Jason: Yes there are, they are all pre-approved.

Morgan: So if we see some in bad places, we can take them out?

Jason: If not in approved locations.

Shout-outs

Rohini: To Teri, Ji and Morgan for being wonder women and moving in furniture during Get Out film screening last night, which was awesome. And thank you Abdul for food supervising.

Ji: Rohini for event, and Teri for conversation.

Andrews: Stand up if you are participating in Halloween costume party, and vote on slip of paper before going out!

Meeting adjourned at 6:19 PM.