



2018-19 ASWU Meeting Minutes | **October 10th, 2018**

In attendance:

Tersa Almaw President	present
Andrews Boateng EVP	present
Chelsea Shearer FVP	present
Catalina Corvalan EAA	present
Rohini Vyas Campus Activities Coordinator	present
Amber Van Brunt Sports Events Coordinator	present
Morgan Bucher Sustainability Coordinator	present
Ethan Clardy Senior Class Coordinator	present
Jira Hammond PR/Marketing Coordinator	absent
Abdul Haq Special Events Coordinator	present
Talya Jackson Spiritual Life Coordinator	present
Utsal Shrestha Cultural Events Coordinator	present
Emily Clemons Oliver Senator	present
James Parrish McMillan Senator	present
Jose Aguilera Warren Senator	present
Katie Rose Ballard Senator	present
Lauren Sfeir Arend Senator	present
Katie Ludlum Baldwin-Jenkins Senator	present
Sarah Haman Boppell Senator	present
Almat Yeraly Stewville Senator	present
Elizabeth Sanders Off Campus Senator	present
David Martin Duvall Senator	present

Pema Tshogyal Off-campus Representative	present
Erik Blank Off-campus Representative	present
Grace Schmidt Off-campus Representative	present
Christopher Clay Arend & Boppell Representative	present
Mitchell Anderson Baldwin-Jenkins & Stewart Representative	present
Gracey Gonzalez Duvall & Oliver Representative	present
Ehizogie Agbontaen Warren Representative	present

Meeting brought to order at 5:00 PM in ASWU Chambers.

Honoring the Original Caretakers of this Land.

Mission Statement read by Katie R.

Minutes from 10/03/2018 approved.

Correction: *Haunted House for Mac will be on Oct 20th instead of 30th.*

Speaker

Lorna Hernandez Jarvis | lhernandezjarvis@whitworth.edu

Chief Diversity Officer; Assoc VP Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion

Hello everyone, thank you. Just wanted to give you an update of what our office is doing since I spoke last Spring. Mainly, in April, we talked about the Diversity Action Plan approved by the Board, to be implemented this year. That plan has 3 main goals--first is to improve professional development for faculty and staff, second is to work on recruitment and retention for students, faculty, and staff, and third is to work on curricular and cocurricular strategies. It's lots of objectives and strategies to achieve in the next 2-3 years.

So here's the update on what we started and where we are.

First goal: we offered several trainings last year for staff and faculty, looking at different topics, mainly to improve and increase intercultural competency and communication skills. In June, Jacqueline from the Sociology Dept. helped with some intensive workshops in diversity education and intercultural dialogue to understand identity, strong communication skills and how to approach each other when we disagree. That workshop was to give tools. Result was many faculty amending their syllabi and to implement different programs for their area of work. That group will continue to meet monthly this year to continue honing those skills, and to work on strategies to be more proactive.

We just finished designing a series of 8-9 workshops for faculty and staff, these are individual sessions, but are programmatic, so as they progress, people work in depth. We're asking attendees to attend as many as possible. You'll see that impact hopefully as early as this spring.

Second goal regards recruiting and retention, you know that this year we have the largest and most diverse class. Recruitment is doing well, so we're working on strategies to retain. Bringing people from diverse backgrounds is not enough, we need to do more to support. Working to develop initiatives, because our commitment is to support students to succeed. President Taylor talked about Pirate's Persist. We're working together with that to make sure that we are really creating the support needed to succeed in this institution.

For example, specifically, we extended the BUCS Bridge program, which had 40 students, and now expanded to 60 students with international students. That means we hired more staff to support those students' development. In the employee side, we are in the process of revising the employment search committees, specifically for faculty, by applying strategies that broaden the pool of applicants. These can be like identifying post-doc, PhD, master's candidates from 2 different databases, additionally, from underrepresented groups, for different disciplines, so when there's a search we can recruit those individuals to apply. We want to include a diversity advocate in every search to look for discriminative biases.

I'm also working on revising the procedures in bias incidents, like harassments. Everyone needs to know how to report them and we have to make it simple, show the process is clear, so there's no questions. Hopefully you'll hear more of the specifics in next couple of months.

Regarding the curricular/co-curricular goal, we worked with a task force on General Education this summer, on student outcomes from every course, so that we are meeting student outcomes on diversity, and are making a significant impact. We're creating a domestic and global redesign, where students might even end up taking a third course to understand more of these issues. That's still a vote for the faculty, so hold until December, so we'll see where that ends up, but I'm working closely so everyone understands the impact of this initiative.

We try to connect the events from my office with classroom experiences. If we have a speaker, we want departments to engage and students know it isn't just something extra, but an experience and that enriches your thinking.

Finally, we are working with residence life, finding good ways to address diversity and inclusion in training, with international competency, incorporating dialogue skills in residences, so we can be civil, disagree, but try to understand each others' perspectives in an environment that where students will be happy.

Utsal: These diversity advocates, in committees, will they be students, like CDA's?

Lorna: They're members of a search committee, but have training with me to recognize biases, challenge majority mistakes and potential discrimination. Human resources are working to train them, too. We start with faculty, but in the future, they'll be with every search. It'll take about a year before it's fully incorporated.

Utsal: Explain the workshop in summer?

Lorna: They'll be annually, until we see new needs rise. Currently, we have 22 people that were part of that; half staff, half faculty. For next summer, we'll continue with about 20 or so. The goal is that it impacts classrooms, courses, even if it isn't about diversity, we can develop an inclusive environment. If faculty are doing it right, it impacts meetings, how people can engage effectively. That's the ultimate goal.

Let me know if you have any concerns. My door is always open, and I'll get on it and look into things. I hope to connect with you soon.

Mitchell: Where can we find you?

Lorna: McEachran 218.

FVP Updates

Chelsea: Capital: \$20000

Unallocated: \$19434.71

Club Updates

Alzheimer's Awareness

Faith Lopez | flopez-flores19@my.whitworth.edu

Our goal is to essentially raise awareness on and off campus with our club efforts. Alzheimer's Awareness Day was Sept. 29th, so we were handing out purple ribbons in HUB. This past weekend, 7 members helped w/ Alzheimer's Awareness Washington, AlzWa, they had shirts that reflected their association with the disease, and raised \$1000. Spokane will have a town hall Oct 18th, 9:30-11, on a new legislation to increase funding for research. We'll have lectures from different science professors and get people involved in this.

Katie R: Contact?

Faith: flopez-flores19@my.whitworth.edu

En Christo

Christina Reeves | creeves19@my.whitworth.edu

Alex Mowery | amowery20@my.whitworth.edu

Christina: We have events every Saturday, with 10-25 students showing each time. We make 200 sandwich sack lunches and get them to Park Tower, a low-income residence complex, which has been our place for several past years. We're hoping soon to serve soup as the weather gets colder, and start street teams with more members. We'll have a Christmas party at Park Tower and go to residence halls during prime times to make cards.

Alex: En christo is the oldest running club, started 29 years ago, and we meet Saturdays, from 1:30-3:30 we make lunches, and at 3:30 we head downtown to hand them out. En christo helps poor people, but largely, it's raising awareness on poverty how it separates us as sisters and brothers from Christ, until our country decides to end poverty for once and all.

Andrews: Do you take care of transportation?

Christina: Yes, each week, you sign up if you have a car and if you're willing how many people you can take; we always manage to take everyone.

Alex: You might even win a chance to take my 1984 automobile, which has a 90% success rate of making it out from campus.

EVP Updates

Sweatshirts

Andrews: I commend you all for a great job in getting started with those. Now's a good time to start ordering them, so by the end of the month, we can all have sweatshirts.

GER Elections

Hopefully you'll have seen the posters around campus. Elections will be Monday, Oct 15th, 9AM-9PM, and it'll be for a position that represents international student voices, who'll work alongside Cultural Events Coordinator, Senators, CDAs. Talk to me for more info.

Alex: What's the actual vote on?

Andrews: It'll be a referendum, which must be passed by full campus, a yes or no if they want the position. Senators and reps, spread the word on what the position is for.

Mitchell: How many positions?

Andrews: Just the one. I have a calendar here with the election dates and times, take one. If position passes Oct 15th, we vote on candidates 22nd, the following Monday.

Applications open the 16th, closes 18th; on the 19th, campaigns can begin.

Andrews: Sign up sheet is here, I need volunteers to run the voting booth. Stay for a min after, sign up to help me out.

Student Highlight

Brandon from BMac, as you all know when James mentioned, last week was National Smiley Day,

James: --National Mac Day...

Andrews: And Brandon got a whole cake out of his own pocket for the res hall. Thanks for that!

President Updates

Students of Color Conference

Oct 11th at Gonzaga U. I recommend you to sign up soon. Come talk to me if you or others are interested.

Smoke and Tobacco-Free Policy

This policy is to declare Whitworth a smoke-free campus, like smoke, tobacco, any vapor; this stems from surveys that were collected last year. There will be several town halls that will go into more detail:

Monday, Oct. 15

5-6 p.m. | Seeley G. Mudd Chapel

Wednesday, Oct. 17

noon-1 p.m. | HUB MPR

Tuesday, Oct. 23

4-5 p.m. | Weyerhaeuser 111

Wednesday, Oct. 24

5-6 p.m. | Whitworth Downtown Campus River Room 1

Andrews: What will happen to designated smoking areas?

Teri: I believe it's no smoking at all on campus.

Katie R: Will there be a training, if we see students smoking or vaping? How will this be implemented and enforced?

Teri: The director of the health clinic, Amy Cutler, and Rhosetta Rhodes will be there too, to speak more about this. I don't know much else than these dates. I believe there might be a Big 3-like consequence.

Sarah: Do we know when this will be implemented?

Teri: This policy was off a the survey that showed most students want to have a smoke free campus. Faculty and staff are trying to implement from this feedback.

Brandon: Will there be any areas? Would I have to go out of campus just to smoke?

Teri: So far that's what it seems.

Katie L: Are the meetings to review, or is it already a thing?

Teri: Look at the draft, I don't know more.

Almat: Where can we find the draft?

Jason: Check pirate port for draft.

Constitution Reform

We wanted to inform you we have a group that's on it, and we're evaluating the constitution, and what needs to be updated. We'll see next week what revisions we have.

Upcoming Events

Homecoming

Abdul: Please look for a videographer, who will be paid to make a video, but let me know if you know anyone. Video will I be 2-3 min, and cover all events from Unplugged to game to Dance.

Also, if there's any rep who has access to FB Class of 2022 page, come talk to me. I'll email you the poster to post, please.

Jason: You all have sign ups, take a look at that sheet passed around, if anything needs to be changed, let me know.

Andrews: By when do you need a videographer?

Abdul: By Friday; they have to be present for the peak times during the events, and can leave after. Don't have to stay there the whole time.

Jason: Also the sign up sheet, for the dance, unless your name is helping load or with tech crew, you are all doing decorations. Rohini has the stuff for that, and will know. Thanks.

Farmer's Market and Thrift Shop

Morgan: Farmer's market and thrift will be Oct 15th, 3-7PM in MPR; Global thrift will definitely be there, I'm still waiting on some vendors for their contracts. The

Bread Box, for baked goods, will have a stand. Coffee Company, others. There will be free hot chocolate and cider if you bring your own mug. I will need help, I know it'll be a long weekend, but with unloading everything and getting it to the MPR, basically. Let me know, it's on the ASWU drive.

Also, Tuesday, 16th, Spokane Transit Authority is coming with a bus, like parked by where the donate blood bus usually is, to talk about benefits of our student passes that we get with our student ID. Might need 1 person, from 9:20-10:30 to make sure no one is parked there when the bus comes.

Unveiled

It'll be Monday too, in the RTT, 8:00-9:30, lots of praise and worship. Juvelation, a speed painter, some speakers, Shades of Africa will be there. Let's praise God together.

Fall Festival

Katie L: Fall Fest will be Friday, Oct 19th, 5-10 pm, BJ/Stewart. We'll have puppies and pumpkins. All are welcome.

Teri: Puppies??

Katie L: Yes! Do you have puppies? Let's talk.

Anyone else have puppies?

Jason: Chewy might come, if she behaves.

Haunted house:

James: Will be Oct 20th, 8pm, joint with Warren for Monster Mash.

Senators, I'll send flyers I made by 7pm tonight to put in your newsletters. Sweet.

Jose: Monster Mash, same day; I left some posters in your newsboxes, will be sending electronic copy too. Dance will be in Warren. Will have music, food--the theme is Thriller.

Senior Wings Night

Ethan: I'm the senior class coordinator. Thursday, Oct 18th, 9pm, I'll be providing wings at Buffalo Wild Wings, and appetizers; everything is sponsored, you buy your own drinks. A raffle for \$25 dollar to buy alumni stuff in the Whitworth bookstore will also go down. We'll have a trivia, at 10PM, which is managed by BWW.

Sarah: The one in Northtown mall?

Ethan: Yes.

Andrews: How many wings can a student get?

Lizzie: They have to be a senior!

Ethan: You will be asked to leave if junior!

Right now, I have a \$300-350 dollars cap; don't know exactly how many people will come through.

Andrews: Make contest, who can eat the most or the hottest wings.

Jason: We cannot do that.

Reports & Vibes

Teri: Will send out email about committees dates and times once finalized; it's important that we go to them since we are repping students and ASWU. I'll remind you so you know.

Trevor: I'm here from whitworth.fm. Thank you for approving the requisition for the speaker and cords, they're much nicer.

We will have a booth Oct. 23rd, 11-1PM, to promote Whitworth radio. People don't even know we have one. We'll have a raffle for two speakers, they're little and cute, and a shirt.

Jose: Will you draw and email the person?

Trevor: Yes, and on the shirt too. We will also have a fundraiser for the radio, still planning that out. Were thinking. We have triple amount of shows from last year, which is awesome.

Emily: I've been in contact with Dan King from Sodexo, about maybe playing the FM playlist in the coffeeshop.

Lauren: Arend is still squishy. Maintenance and facilities has been very nice and helpful.

Brandon: Will they convert Arend into a waterpark.

Lauren: No comment.

Katie R: Arend and Duvall, I apologize, your laundry prices have gone up 25 cents more. I wanted to lower, and called, but they said they can't, cause technically our prices are half less than regular laundromat. Didn't know they would increase yours, though!

Jose: I'll call again, about machines for recharging cards. Many residents wondering why does it have to be \$5, it's inefficient--better it be \$1 or quarter system.

Alex: I'm Alex. I work as the Social Justice Coordinator in chapel. We had a voter registration every day last week. Just wanted to tell you to encourage your

constituents to vote. Elections are important, because they impact. At least, please vote for those who the election will impact.

Also, the chapel will have times for prayers on racial and economic reconciliation, if you know anyone who needs some time, or you have time, come 4pm Thursdays.

Shoutouts

Chris: Talya for helping me for more than 2 hrs.

Almat: Huge thanks to Sarah, cause she's helped me out a lot.

Emily: David, for his first newsletter!

David: Emily, for your help with everything.

Andrews: Rohini for helping a lot.

Teri: to all the work you'll do this weekend.

Andrews: Reps and Senators for waking up early for the training Saturday.

Meeting adjourned at 5:51 PM.