



We, the Associated Students of Whitworth University, are dedicated to representing our diverse student body with integrity, empathy, and respect. By engaging in open dialogue, we aim to cultivate a safe, inclusive, and supportive campus community, lead with authenticity, advocate for equity, and strive for every student to feel valued and heard.

---

2024-25 ASWU Meeting Minutes Nov 20<sup>th</sup>, 2024

**Executive Members:**

Isaac Price   President	PRESENT
Bobbi Jo Crittenden   Vice President	PRESENT
Michael Stavridis   Financial Director	PRESENT
Salwa Mehreen   Communications Director	PRESENT

**Coordinators:**

Chloe Crandell   Campus Activities Coordinator	PRESENT
Gwen Brantner   Club Coordinator	PRESENT
Sophie St. Jacques   Cultural Events Coordinator	PRESENT
Sierra Pauley   Senior Class Coordinator	PRESENT
Jude Ruetschle   Spiritual Life Coordinator	PRESENT
Aubrey Lathrom   Traditional Events Coordinator	PRESENT

**Senators:**

Aloisa Morales-Saldana   Arend Senator	PRESENT
Abby Ruffcorn   Ballard Senator	PRESENT
Kenzie Lebsack   Baldwin Jenkins Senator	PRESENT
Eli Roberts   Boppell Senator	PRESENT
Jordan Voigt   Duvall Senator	PRESENT
Niraj Pandey   International Student Senator	PRESENT
Michael Barnes   McMillan Senator	PRESENT
Abi Prather   Off-Campus Senator	PRESENT
Avery Hamilton   Oliver Senator	ABSENT
Eli Harris   Stewart Senator	PRESENT

**Representative:**

Madalyn Dotson   Incoming Student Representative	PRESENT
Harmony Pakootas   Incoming Student Representative	PRESENT
Ben Veith   Neighborhoods Senator Representative	PRESENT
Austin Read   Off Campus Representative	PROXY
Esperanza Gui   Off Campus Representative	PRESENT
Jayce Palm   Off Campus Representative	PRESENT
Cheyenne Rodgers   Off Campus Representative	PRESENT

---

**Meeting brought to order at 5:02 pm**

---

**Mission statement read by *Jude***

---

**Approval of Minutes 11.06.2024**

*Motioned to approve minutes by Eli H*

*Secoded by Abi P*

**Favor: 14 | Oppose: 0 | Abstain: 0**

**Approval of Minutes 11.13.2024**

*Motioned to approve minutes by Eli R*

*Secoded by Eli H*

**Favor: 16 | Oppose: 0 | Abstain: 0**

---

**What's up Whitworth**

Gwen: We're doing a cool whip after dark show this Friday at 9:00 so probably you should hit ifest and then hit the cool whip show it sounds like a nice little fun so cool whip show is in stage 2 in the auditorium so if you just walk into the Cowels Auditorium and it goes straight down the hallway the long hallway to the right and it's back there and I'll see you all there.

Ben: last night the world language department put on a ministry event and I was part of it and I thought it went really really well .

Sierra: so the semi formal senior Christmas party is coming up and I'm doing so much planning and that's gonna be December 6th so try to keep this is not for senior aswu members everybody else though. I'll get you more info as it comes. Finding a location has been tough but we're getting there.

Gwen: Jubiition is happening on Sunday December 8th at 7:30 doors open at 7:00 it's in the main stage in auditorium. super fun I should also see you there. we've been working very hard and we do have copyrights so we are following the law. we are. Again, it's in Cowels Auditorium, mainstage on December 8th at 7:30 PM.

---

**Student Highlight**

BobbiJo: Our student highlight this week is Elliot Hammond. he is the student manager at the UREC he helped plan most winter carnival with Aubrey Todd and Courtney. Just wanted to highlight him for all of his great work.

---

**Birthday**

Austin Read

---

## Club Updates

Gwen: wow Guys, we have 4 updates today, first hola club

Vanessa: So, Im Vanessa, Hola club's president. I'd like to start off by listing the events that we've already had which includes our Hispanic heritage month celebration back in September if you pulled up to that there was free food so should have pulled up literally like two days after that we had like a collab picnic with eastern and gonzagas like Hispanic clubs and that was really fun. got to know people, get to know new games then we had a decoration night for day of the dead there was some issues around that just because there's like been some like enforcements for rules now which we weren't aware of and luckily I did ask a couple of days in advance and then we had our movie night this past week it was really fun we watched Coco copyrighted from the library and then for second semester we're planning on Loteria, karaoke our second big event of the year and three kings day which we celebrate during January.

Gwen: any questions for Vanessa? alright next we have an update from Gen action.

Sara: I'm the Co president of Gen action. so far this semester we haven't had an event just because our only events were canceled. Sure you guys heard about that and we are planning to host an event during dead week just a little fun contraceptives like ornament decorating thing just a little craft night for people and then the following semester we're looking at collaborating with eastern and Gonzaga to bring back sex and also collaborating with res life so like to bring back sex in the dark on campus and then we will also be doing some events to raise awareness against sexual assault and rape and just all that stuff and then we're also doing to take back the night.

Gwen: Any questions for Sarah? Next we have an update from UMOJA. Is Sophia or someone else from that club here? OK never mind then last update is the hidden opponent. Anyone from that club is here? OK great never mind then that's all from me.

---

## Financial Director Update

Michael: so for context yesterday budget committee like interim budget committee met we discussed where we're gonna appropriate the rest of the like the funds like the rollover that we had we spent about two hours doing it yesterday it does however will need to be approved by assembly. so I'm going to go through right now everything that we approved yesterday. I don't have any questions before I start. OK so I'm just gonna focus on this section because this is like essentially how we like just decided to do the numbers because I didn't wanna go and change every individual account and try and keep track of everything because I didn't know what was going to get approved and what wasn't and so this obviously is subject to change again lots of discussion went into this last night. so I'm gonna start line by line made about \$50,000 of roll over that we wanted to like assign to various people instead of going through like every single club and guessing who needs how much money that's obviously very complicated there's tons of clubs. we just essentially decided to really full capital and unallocated as much as we can and that hopefully covers all those bases. so obviously those numbers there that's to get capital up to 30,000 and sorry unallocated up to 30,000 in capital up to 20 so then there's tons of money for students and clubs to then requisition for. I don't assume that we have any questions about that. then we decided to give you'll see there's two line items for international student center 1 is 5000 the second one was 2200 those are both for one new initiative and one old one. the first new initiative I guess if you want to ask further questions Niraj is sitting right there. first one is there's obviously a lot of students that can't go that don't necessarily have places to go home to for Thanksgiving and that Christmas breaks and other holidays on campus so originally niraj's idea was to kind of take a pool of ASWU's money and then use that to help with like food insecurity during that time because hub isn't open not everyone has a home to go to. we then decided that we would then open that up to other students who also won't be able to go home so it's not just for international students however it is Niraj who's going to be like heading up that initiative so that's what's going into his budget that's the 5000 and the 2200 was for an initiative that was started last year called the Lulu Gonzalez travel fund which helps essentially international students get home and subsidise the cost of their flights as they are expensive. so those are here and here. do you have any questions about those? Nothing? Great. then the heat Chapel and then intramurals will be essentially just decided to assign just \$1000 for heat and Chapel and \$2000 for intramurals it's just because historically we have cut these programs quite significantly I've spoken to all the programs they have indicated that they are fine with the money they have but like everyone else agreed to a little bit more so this was just for us to support those programs where we can. questions about that? Disagreements? The only clubs that we like did discuss individually will increase on pep band just because their budget requests last year were incredibly large and especially the club increased so they obviously do a lot of good work for the community it's a great service projects for students on campus so we thought that we'd support them because they're doing a good thing for the community members of Spokane pep band also generally they submit quite a large budget request because they like to purchase instruments they don't just perform whitworth they perform at other schools and events we haven't had the money in the past to give them enough money to help support them in their purchasing of the instruments but we did have some extra obviously lying around so we decided to give that to them because in the last three years I think we've haven't been able to give them the money that they need. they also do get lots of donations so this is that

coupled up with their donations as well but yeah have any questions about that? then BMac this is I guess 500 to Mac and 500 to Ballard but I guess the budget kind of seems to melt into one these days um that's just cause a lot of people attend the BMac events historically. we probably need to reevaluate how much money Bmac gets. they're definitely probably the most attended like senator events I would argue and so this is to help with milk and cookies as they do every week other events they put on because they have like a lot more traditional events than other residence halls do. do you have any questions about that? Off campus senator again off campus centers has put on great events this semester we noticed the budget was getting low we decided to give her 1000 more Abi was going to requisition anyway so it's decided to essentially cut that process short just give us some more money again we did cut the off campus senators budget I think by thousand last year because last year's senator didn't I guess use all the budget but it seems that Abi this year is putting on more events than last year senator and so we decided to up that budget by like 1000.

BobbiJo: Hot take. not more, just bigger events.

Michael: Okay I didn't even say it was you I just said last year's senator. And then this was actually my budget just because normally we don't have interim budget committee so all my budget essentially goes to providing food for those who are sitting in spring budget committee cause those meetings are very long and go on for days and so we have yesterday's meeting which obviously took like a chunk of our budget in terms of food so I was like I'll just fill up that budget committee has money for food next semester. Do you have any questions about that? Okay. how are we doing this next one are we gonna present position 1st and then do the budget? Ok I'm just gonna give a budget on the money so everyone can keep this in mind when Isaac and BobbiJo are presenting now essentially we're going to propose introducing a new position into ASWU. We're gonna call it I guess that we're running name is school spirit coordinator. we have had school spirit coordinator in the past, due to lack of need and budgeting we then you know got that position however we've come into a situation where the peers that there is a need for it we do have some money lying around so there's essentially like monetarily is kind of like an experimental period because we're essentially taking next semester to see if this is a position that warrants the money, warrants the need and then in spring budget committee we will determine whether or not we want to carry on that forward and whether not aswu can like afford to take on this position. Now I'm not going to go into detail about like what that does because we're gonna have a whole section dedicated to that in Isaac updates but this is just the budget so essentially I mean hourly position I think what we decide on 9 hours so they get around about I think like \$3000 for next semester and then the rest would be like they're working budget again they don't necessarily gonna use all of that but this is just up to the amount that we've approved kind of a second experimental amount. That takes us to essentially all the money that we want to approve. Do I have any questions, do I have any other suggestions do you have anyone who feels strongly that money should go you know one place and not another this is your time to speak.

Sophie: I know Avery had a question about like since all of this money is like leftover from the students why isn't it just being returned to the students or why aren't we like sending out like a survey or something to ask where they think it should go?

Michael: I mean I think that's a fair question. This is roll over that we have from previous years so it isn't necessarily just a student body that money's coming from and this is rollover I guess from last year. just last year Todd right yeah OK so just last year so I guess new freshman there's technically isn't your money like it is but it isn't and so we're not here to like you know it'd be like ohh every student you know I don't even know how much that would be divided back like this is just historically ASWU had rollover that kind of acts like a buffer so that if we go through periods of you know financial difficulty we can like rely on our rollover. The previous person the Jason's position however sorry not Jason's ..so essentially before I got into this position the budget wasn't necessarily run strictly and we got into a situation where we were like essentially going into the red every single year and then that obviously isn't fair to students who have been paying money and then essentially that like an incoming students have to pay the deficit from like previous years does that make sense and so between like todd and me and the finance committee, the budget committee obviously the last two or three years we've been very conservative with and prudent when it comes to like money or signing budget etcetera and so now we aren't in the red anymore which is great so they've been in the red for like the last 6-7 years something like that so we're out of it. we have never been in a position where we're like this time of year we just have this much money lying around so this is very new for us. if you're wondering why we didn't like individually survey every student like I guess we could do that but in fairness we are aswu and so in theory we do represent the student body and there is like a diverse group of people that are sitting on the budget committee that's why there's like restrictions and parameters for who can be on budget committee and who can't. I guess the idea is that the student bodies representative budget committee and that these decisions are then decided in budget committee and then we present them to the rest of the assembly everyone here is supposed to represent you know their constituency so in theory the whole student body and so I don't necessarily think there's a need for us to go in individually survey every single student to decide what how they think the money should go where they think it should go because everyone's can have an opinion. Is that clear? so do I hear no more questions about this. now this is technically where we're supposed to put it but I think we probably need to approve the position first before we approve this so I'm gonna just segue right off.

Isaac: Let's skip over to this real quick this is a position board drafted together as Michael said it's existed in the past but now that we have the extra rollover the need of that position is in the slightly different. Generally the school spirit coordinator is a 9 hour position that will be responsible for coordinating the mascot for the captain patches related activities so they'll be overseeing appearances logistics behind that as well as being part of that yeah connection with athletics as well but those are the high level things are there any questions?

BobbiJo: For everyone who wasn't here, my first year which was basically the first year we really had Patches. Patches used to be at every event. Everyone loves patches and Todd has so much on his plate that we just can't like Jason used to run it don't know how many times but he did Todd does not have time for that so essentially this would be someone that making sure that patches at every appearance that he can be interacting with this working community he used to go to baseball games like the Indians used to go all sorts of places he used to go to the chiefs games like that kind of stuff so this essentially would be bringing back what patches was before he started dying. Anyone who done it last year they know he died okay. He has been dead this whole time. Reincarnation but essentially it would be resurrecting his presence any questions?

### **Approval of School Spirit Coordinator**

*Motioned to approve position by Eli R*

*Seconded by Eli H and Makenzie*

**Favor: 15 | Oppose: 0 | Abstain: 0**

### **Approval of Budget**

*Motioned to approve Budget by Niraj*

*Seconded by Eli H*

**Favor: 14 | Oppose: 0 | Abstain: 0**

---

### **Vice President Update**

BobbiJo: I just wanted to double check that everyone is good for tabling this Friday that signed up. Raise your hand if you don't know you signed up. So everyone is gonna be here when they say they're gonna be here?

Michael B : I realize that I have a conflict from 10 to 11.

Eli R : I have a conflict from 12 to 1. But I have 2 shifts. When is the second one?

BobbiJo: 3 to 5

Salwa: Did I schedule for 11 to 12? My class ends at 11.20, so I can do it from 11.30 to 12.30.

BobbiJo: Eli will you be able to do it alone for 30 minutes?

Eli H: Yes.

BobbiJo: Okay. Can anyone do 12 to 1?

Abby r: yeah I can do 12 to 1.

BobbiJo: Thank you. That's all I have.

---

### **President Updates**

Isaac: Alright everybody we already did the first one, so a couple just quick internal committee things. The first one start actually with the student life engagement committee so couple weeks ago I mentioned that Rosetta is working on a couple of reslife initiatives and she would like student feedback on a couple of things mainly centering on just the names of summer program this would just look like 1/30 minute particularly for those who have not met committee requirement yet, this is your moment. So if could like have four or five people

who would be willing to contribute , okay Madalyn, Niraj.. OK if you would like to be part of this let me know and then next we have the DEI committee I wanted to open that up again if there's anybody

Niraj: I thought the last one was DEI?

Isaac: I started with the student life engagement.

Niraj: Damn it.

Isaac: Would you like to be taken off from that? That's fine, that's fine. Now, the DEI committee.

Sophie: So I currently have under my thing so like again I'm pretty sure most of the people that have said they're interested already have committees on Aswu so if you don't have a committee on Aswu this is a really easy way to get a committee under your belt so I currently have niraj, Eli Harris, Avery, Cheyenne and then Gwen you said you have a committee but you are still interested. Does anybody like we're talking like just trying to emphasize like aswu's role and like representing all students and making sure like every voice is heard and really trying to reach out to those that feel like either like racially or socially a minority on this campus and like trying to like see how we as ASWU can better serve them. I've listed who has told me they're interested is there anyone else? Is there anyone else that does not have a committee that wants a committee? Okay that should be good.

Isaac: Thank you Sophie. Now this goes with the school's spirit coordinator position that's going to be built, but we are relatively a small group. Individuals include Aubrey, chloe, salwa and gwen, myself , bobbijo are gonna be working with Devyn who came last week to strengthen the partnership with ASWU and the promotion of athletics and engagement with athletics so that's another group that's existing right now. That's all for me if you did not raise your hand for a committee and would like to please e-mail me or the relevant people thank you.

---

### **Upcoming / Past Events**

Chloe: So pancake social was last Thursday. It was actually a lot of fun a lot of people showed up. There was a couple hiccups and the fact that we couldn't get the sound to work so there was no movie but we had speakers and so we played music instead. 2nd hiccup was Sodexo had a miscommunication with us and unfortunately started cleaning up an hour early. But before that it was great also I would like to take a second today to tell you guys I got another pair of crocs. # 14. I am wearing them right now.

BobbiJo: show us the crocs.

BobbiJo : Winter Carnival. That's me because Aubrey wasn't there. Winter carnival went really well everyone showed up to their shifts it was really fun a lot of people came. People didn't understand that you had to win carnival games to get tickets though yeah really really fun I really enjoyed that part that was great but it's really fun working with Urec. There were lots of cake there was smoothies there was inflatable, there was carnival games and it was lots of fun. A bunch of clubs came. It went really well.

Sophie: So we had a little drop in and decompressed session yesterday so we had two sessions one from 3:00 to 4:00 and then one from 7:00 to 8:00 there was just like a little bit of a snafu because we were partnering with like the counseling center and the ISC and so it was really hard to like try and get like counselors for certain times like I had to like move it around so like that like made kind of like promoting it a bit hard but we actually like it was a smaller group but I think we actually had like some really good conversations. it was really great to like it was really good and interesting like hear from a lot of different people on campus in terms of what they think you know like someone that really was really appreciative of this statement that you know we made on the flag incident on campus it was really great to get to talk with people and just like how positively impacted them because I feel like a lot of times like as aswu we don't necessarily know the impact we make and it was just like really interesting actually be able to like hear that and then also shout out to Eli H because he was there for both sessions.

Michael B: Bmac Thanksgiving is basically more geared towards bmac residents we're gonna be eating Thanksgiving dinner in Mcmillan lounge. We are gonna come together and enjoy community. Play some games.

Abby: This Friday in Ballard starting at 8:00 PM we're going to have Bracelets and brownies so I made a bunch of brownies and we're gonna make cookies and stuff like the brownie cookies and I have a bunch of like bracelet beading stuffs like smiley face beads really cute stuff so you can come it'll be really fun I think it will have a pretty good turn out and yeah lots of beads so please come.

Abi P: Off campus movie night is this Saturday you can get there anytime after six we will be there make sure you have your ticket or else you can't get in and if you have any questions about that let me know

Eli R: Boppell and Oliver's pie night is coming up on the 25th so 8:00 to 10:00 PM over in Oliver first floor lounge. We will be pieing certain ASU members, certain RA's and also certain AC that night. We are also getting tons of Costco pie, ice cream and also have a competition.

Jordan: Tomorrow night Duvall is having an event we're doing karaoke, blackjack and then there's a hot cocoa bar from 8:00 to 10:00 so anyone's welcome to come join.

Salwa: I actually have a question for both of you. Did you guys send me a poster but I didn't approve for these events?

Eli R: I did send it. I am not sure I can send it again.

Jordan: I am not sure I sent it to you.

Niraj: So I have two things. The most important thing ever is on Friday it's I-fest, RTT, 7 PM. Get your tickets at the hub info desk, tell your friends, tell your family, tell your mom and dad, grandmother, everybody to get there, it will be great. And also on Friday, November 22, me, Jude, Jasmine and Isaiah are tabling at the hub and selling Nepalese tea and raising money for Nepalese flood victims. And yeah, so we're donating to Nepal Rising, which is a brilliant NGO that does relief work in emergencies, natural disaster and such, so if you want to have some delicious tea, talk about climate change and donate to a good cause, please come to the hub.

---

## **Constituency Reports**

### **Arend**

Aloisa: Arend constituents are extremely busy with homework and studying as they are prepping for finals. Even with the break they were given, they still feel as if there was never a break. However, constituents of Arend are looking forward to attending the Stewart Christmas Party, where RA's and CMC's will get very well dressed for this event! Arend residents have also started to decorate Arend and are definitely in the Christmas spirit!

### **Ballard**

Abby: This week in Ballard, residents have been feeling very stressed regarding finals and anxious to go home for Thanksgiving Break! This week in BMAC we have 2 events! We have BMAC Thanksgiving on Thursday and Bracelets and Brownies this Friday night! Resident area very excited for Christmas as well and we are pulling out some famous BMAC XMAS traditions like decorating and hanging a paper chain all through the halls!!

### **Boppell**

Eli Roberts: Constituency Report: Boppell residents are doing well. Last night's prime time: making slime, had an impressive 2 residents in attendance (a new record for Boppell this semester). Residents are excited about our upcoming Pie Night Event and the opportunity to pie their Ras and Senators. Printer is once again offline and IT has been contacted.

### **Duvall**

Jordan: Residents of Duvall have been doing well. We have our senator event tomorrow night which includes karaoke, blackjack, and a hot cocoa bar. Residents seem to be very excited and are looking forward to it. Overall, vibes are high as Thanksgiving break gets closer and closer!

## **International Students**

Niraj: The international students are doing well. We are extremely excited about I-fest, which is this Friday at 7 p.m. in the RTT. We would like to extend a warm invitation to all of you to join us. We will be dancing, singing, and bringing our home to Whitworth. Please come and celebrate the international community. Many people have worked very hard to organize this event. There is naturally a lot of excitement in the ISC. We are also excited about Thanksgiving, and many of us are staying here, some of us are visiting the homes of friends, but, they do this every year, all of us are invited by Scott and Janice to the Presidents house for Thanksgiving dinner, which is really nice of them. Overall, all is well!

### **McMillan**

Michael Barnes: Mcmillan residence hall has been prepping for BMAC thanksgiving and people are very excited. School work has been getting a lot of people down but everyone is excited for thanksgiving break. The T-shirt design contest is underway and a winner will be announced tonight at milk and cookies. Many residence have been complaining about the cold and the snow that is setting in.

### **Off-Campus Students**

Abi: Off Campus is doing great! it is getting colder, so please wear coats so people don't get sick before thanksgiving and warm up your cars before driving them if you have one. Our second event, the free off campus movie night, is this Saturday, everyone is very excited, and we can't wait to see everyone there.

### **Stew-Ville**

Eli: The residents of Stewart and The Village are tired. Time is flying and students are stressed. The halls have quieted down as students are locking in once again. With only mere weeks left, students find themselves prepping for essays and projects across all subjects and classes. We are reaching out toward Thanksgiving Break, a time to relax, gorge on delicious food, and refocus on the last two weeks of school when we return.

### **Baldwin Jenkins**

Makenzie: Bj has been enjoying the indoors as we slowly come to winter! BJ's Jon Bone Jove has been practicing his piano skills a lot lately and our prime times have been fun and educational!

### **Oliver**

Avery:

### **Incoming Students**

Madalyn: First years are doing alright this week. A multitude of students said they enjoyed the events over the weekend, such as the football game, masquerade, and winter carnival. Many students have expressed annoyance with the cold weather, especially students who might be experiencing their first winter in Spokane. Icy conditions have caused a few issues with falls and driving, but luckily nothing too serious. There are rumors circulating about a freshman only snowball fight and sledding once more snow arrives, but no one is really sure. Overall, students are looking forward to Thanksgiving and finishing up classes

### **Neighborhoods**

Ben: Neighborhood residents are doing good. They are not liking the cold. Residents continue to feel busy and are looking forward to Thanksgiving break. This week there will be a Pre-Thanksgiving Party house event.

---

### **Shoutouts:**

Aubrey: I just wanna shout out everybody while I wasn't here taking care of winter carnival BobbiJo, Todd, Elliott especially that saved the event pretty much so thank you.

Niraj: I just wanted to shout out iClub, Todd, Trina they're like the main leadership that is making ifest happen and also all of the performers and all of those who were involved helping out yeah thank you guys.

Michael: Shout out to everyone who sat on the budget committee yesterday.

Michael B: Just wanted to invite everyone to BMAC Thanksgiving. You are welcome to join us.

---

*Motioned to adjourn meeting by Eli H*

*Seconded by Niraj*

**Favor: 16 | Oppose: 0 | Abstain: 0**



---

**Meeting adjourned at 5:45 PM**

---