

We, the Associated Students of Whitworth University, strive to provide advocacy, a sense of belonging, and communication through grace and a holistic approach. Our members aim to represent the diverse student body and collaborate to produce an environment rich in unity, optimism, and civil discourse; while also empowering students to be their authentic selves.

2022-23 ASWU Meeting Minutes | February 15, 2023

_			1
HYECL	ITIVE	IVI et	nhers:

Georgia Goff President	PRESENT
Christian Aguilar Vice President	PRESENT
Michael Stavridis Financial Director	PRESENT
Urvashi Lalwani Communications Director	PRESENT

Coordinators:

Grace Johnson Campus Activities Coordinator	PRESENT
Jamie Gassman Club Coordinator	ABSENT
Jessica Lopez-Ramirez Cultural Events Coordinator	PRESENT
Micah Cunningham Spiritual Life Coordinator	PRESENT
Haley Horsburgh Sustainability Coordinator	
Larkin Dean Traditional Events Coordinator	

Senators:

Samie Schaffer Arend Senator	PRESENT
Sierra Witte Baldwin Jenkins	PRESENT
Kenzie Quinn Ballard Senator	PRESENT
Katelynn Diaz Boppell Senator	PRESENT
Katie Chilcote Duvall Senator	PRESENT
Niraj Pandey International Student Senator	PRESENT
Lucien Dallabetta McMillan Senator	PRESENT
Reeshika Sharma Off-Campus Senator	PRESENT
Lotanna Akukwe Oliver Senator	PRESENT
Ava Dennis Warren Senator	

Representatives:

Gio Coronado Incoming Student Representative	PRESENT
Sydnee Lum Incoming Student Representative	PRESENT
Maleah Robles Neighborhoods Representative	PRESENT
Bobbi Jo Crittenden Off-Campus Representative	PRESENT
Grace Stiger Off-Campus Representative	ABSENT
Nick Yochum Off-Campus Representative	PRESENT
Hannah Sommerville Off-Campus Representative	PRESENT

Mission statement read by Michael

Approval Of Minutes from February 8th, 2023:

Motioned to approve by Katie

Seconded by Kenzie

Favor: 14 | Opposed: 0 | Abstain: 0

Club Coordinator Updates

Club Approval: Icecream Club

Georgia: Does anyone have any questions for Meg?

Motioned to approve by Katie

Seconded by Kenzie

Favor: 14 | Opposed: 0 | Abstain: 0

Financial Director Updates

Finance Committee & Account Totals

Capital: \$13,900 | Unallocated: \$12,375.

Michael: The finance committee met on Monday and approved a number of requests, one of which we need to vote on today. I might have mentioned this before but two students have been going through the process of requisitioning money to support international students in purchasing some winter gear. The finance committee approved \$600 for this initiative, however since it is \$600 and over, we need the general assembly to vote on it.

Motioned to approve by Kenzie

Seconded by Samie

Katie: How is the winter gear getting dispersed? Is it by need?

Michael: Niraj and Lotanna are in charge of this so I will relay that question over to them.

Niraj: We requisitioned this money as we saw international students had this need for winter clothing for whoever may need it. We did a survey to see where the need lies, and we will be making it available on a first come first serve basis, first with announcing to international students. Gloves, neckwear and beanies will be available in the ISC. They are bought from Costco. Also, we are collaborating with the ISC and DEI.

Favor 12 | Opposed: 0 | Abstain: 2

Michael: We are in the process of finalizing a time for the finance committee meetings. During our last meeting though, we also approved amounts for two students to attend the National Society of Black Engineers Conference. One of which got \$150 because they had previously gotten money for conference travel and the max is \$400 per year, then we have the other students \$400. We approved finances for students to attend the MSU Global Digital Humanity symposium for \$100, then \$600 for the warm winter initiative, and \$100 for the Martial Arts Club for their club budget, and finally \$400 for Awkward Middle School dance supplies. Any questions?

President Updates

Meeting with Scott

Georgia: I had a meeting with Scott. We talked about looking for updates in the hiring policy and concerns over the potential moving of the Kippos Garden. Both of which do not have very many updates at this time, but I believe that Scott will be coming in to speak. He is very willing to answer questions and talk about things like that. I'll work on getting him to come meet with us.

New Flyer Process

Georgia: With Urvashi being gone, there is a new flyer process. Sydnee is stepping up as an executive officer so all social media and flyers will be going to her.

Sydnee: Hi! I'm very excited for this position and new semester, and excited to market and advertise events in new and creative ways.

Safety Committee

Georgia: We talked a little bit about the potential safety committee during our ASWU workday. I would like a raise of hands for everyone interested in serving in that committee. I probably need five or six folks but let's just see general interest overall.

ASWU Historian Position

Georgia: We are going to vote whether or not we'd like to approve this position for next year. They will be in charge of taking minutes, setting up the agendas, preparational tasks, etc.

Motioned to approve by Bobbi Jo

Seconded by Katie

Katie: What would be left for the Communications Director?

Georgia: They would be split into two like we are doing right now. One person would be doing marketing and PR, and the other would be doing the minutes and what not. This year we tried combining but we are aiming to split them.

Kenzie: Would this be an executive position as well?

Georgia: No it will not be an executive position, and it is a hired role as well. And to speak more to the reasoning behind this, we noticed that most people tend to either be left brained or right brained and the Communications Director position required someone to be both. This way we can split it into two categories and have each person excel in their respective area.

Favor: 14 | Opposed: 0 | Abstain: 0

Vice President Updates

Newsletters

Christian: Thank you for your grace in the newsletter process and in getting those approved. I will make sure those sent in get approved by Fridays. Any questions on that?

CBS Ratification

Christian: Just a reminder, you should have those meetings scheduled. If you're willing, will you let me know how many people showed up to your CBS meeting and other details?

One on Ones

Christian: If you haven't emailed and signed up for those, please do so.

Meeting Structure Survey

Christian: I have a list for a potential committee to talk about campus vibes and shoutouts. I plan on reaching out to you all in the next week or so. Are there any questions regarding that? Once we have this committee, we can implement those ways into our meetings and into our group for some more structure and guidance points in the meeting. Any questions or concerns regarding that?

Student Highlight

Christian: This week's student highlight is Sierra Pauley! We heard last week in the Boppell constituency report about how Sierra handled a mold situation in Boppell and we just wanted to highlight her for facilitating community as an amazing RA and in other avenues.

Meal Cards

Christian: Please come grab meal cards after the meeting, all ASWU members and guests! Come have a meal with the team, or by yourself! Thank you for being here.

Events (Upcoming Events)

Wellbeing Fair:

Jason: Sent out an email today, the wellbeing fair is tomorrow from 11:00am until 1:00pm I believe. There will be 20 vendors, both on and off campus just talking about what is wellbeing and how can we maintain it. We (ASWU) will be passing out the stuffed squirrels to promote our event and to talk about how participating in ASWU events can help your wellbeing.

Javier Colon:

Jason: Tomorrow, 7:30pm, Hub MPR. Be there or be a rhombus. Javier Colon is performing, he is the first winner of NBC's The Voice. He is super crazy talented. Please tell your friends and people about it. He performed at Spokane Community College the other day, Spokane Falls today and will performing with us tomorrow. We want to get the biggest crowd.

Patches' Birthday:

Jason: His birthday celebration is this Friday night at the basketball games. Lots of mascot friends in attendance to help him celebrate. The mascots will be singing happy birthday to Patches. The mascots will be participating in a small game, there will be lots of cake, and we will be giving away T-shirts and stickers. It'll be great just watching the mascots all hang too.

Leadership Fair:

Jason: Next Wednesday is our Leadership Fair in the Hub MPR. This is the kickoff for our hiring season for leadership positions. RA's, CMC, CDA's, CEA's, UREC, Bucs Bridge, HEAT, CPC, Student Success Coaches, ASWU, and more. They will be talking about what they do and how to get involved. We need your help as well to talk to people about how great it is to be apart of ASWU and what it is we do on campus. We need 2-3 people to work this table each shift. Please wear your ASWU shirt and nametags if you are working.

Awkward Middle School Dance:

Kenzie: It is next Friday from 8pm-11pm in the Hub MPR. There will be punch, and glowsticks as well as really cool lights. I'm going to go shopping on Sunday for things. I've got my helpers already so I don't need any more help. Come and dress in your best 90's to 2000's looks.

Spring Club Fair:

Jason: Wednesday March 1st from 11:00am-1:00pm I'm pretty sure in the Hub MPR. We started doing this Spring Club Fair last year. We are doing a club fair in the spring to get others involved and knowledgable about clubs, and not just in the beginning of the year. We have a lot of clubs signed up to participate. I'm not sure if he needs help but next week Jamie will give us more info.

Christian: This gives clubs that were chartered in the fall to get their word out as well.

Constituency Reports

Boppell

Katelynn: Boppell is great. It is very quiet but almost every day there is at least one person who is cooking something either on the first or second floor. The nodding as a greeting but not speaking is still the prominent form of communication. Other than that nothing is new in Boppell and there is no update on the mold.

Duvall

Katie: CBS went more than well, we had about 30 people show up, and a few students had concerns. We did not change any of our behavioral standards, but we used this as a platform to voice our concerns about respecting quiet hours and kitchen standards. As a few of you might have heard Duvall caught on fire this last Thursday between 7:30-7:50 in the morning. It was a small contained fire that was limited to the back corner of the pod. This happened in pod 305, which belongs to Sidney and myself. It was caused by a cord that heated up on a bean bag chair. There were 17 residents displaced to the third floor of Arend, from pod 305, 205, and 105 due to smoke and water damage. As of Monday, pod 305 was allowed to move back in. Currently there are fans everywhere and the ceilings in the main lounge are being repaired. The little camp out in Arend seems to be in good moods, our RA team was amazing checking in on us and bringing little care packages. I am proud of all my constituents both displaced and staying at home for being so resilient with moving in and out and with the smell of the water. This last week when we had honors students over, we collaborated with Arend for a massive epic nerf gun fight with pizza and snacks, which was an absolute success. Thank you to BMAC for allowing us to use your nerf guns, we had a great turn out. There were many dates this Valentine's Day and a little Galantine group that were meeting downstairs using up the lounge, everyone was dressed up and it was adorable.

Oliver

Lotanna: This past week they have been doing well. Joining life group and clubs on campus. Oliver is going to be holding its CBS ratification meeting tomorrow.

BJ

Sierra: BJ is showing up. We have had some great turn outs at primetimes, including the PJs in BJ for Vday prime time with the overnight hosts. I have heard an overwhelming amount of people are not getting work orders answered or that they are having to submit multiple work orders. I don't know what we can do but hopefully something!

Arend

Samie: Arend doesn't have much new to report on this week! We did have the affected residents from the Duvall incident move into our third floor, so we are adapting to having some new faces in the building. We were able to have a Duvall-Arend joint Primetime in Arend (it was a giant nerf war) so that was exciting. Overall, however, the number of constituents going to Primetime is still low but is expected with the new class schedules. We had to move our CBS ratification meeting to tonight, so that will be happening. Additionally, I am planning on sending out a spring semester survey to get a feel for what residents want to see happen/improve this last chunk of the year! I am hoping to be able to report on that in the next two-three weeks.

Off-Campus Senator:

Reeshika: Off-campus is doing good, we are planning an event in march. a lot of off-campus students are graduating this year so they are excited but nervous as well. i ll be sending newsletter this week.

Warren

Ava: I've seen more people hanging out together in lounges which is great. I think people have finally settled into the new semester. A lot of people are ready for the cold weather to stop. A lot of crafts were made this week which was fun to see what people were creating. One of the complaints I've heard this week was the hours for buildings and which buildings are closed for weekends.

McMillan

Lucien: McMillan hall is doing pretty good. Sickness has fallen upon our dorm in a number of constituents, but everyone who is sick seems to be finding the rest and support that they need. The biggest concern of the dorm is our washing machines both breaking. One of them actually washed *too* well and ran for about six hours, ruining a residents clothes. Despite those issues, everybody is energtic and lively! Milk and Cookies is tonight at 11PM as usual!

Ballard

Kenzie: Ballard is doing well, with Valentine's Day this week, we were up and active giving gifts, valentines, and just hanging out with friends. We have awkward middle school dance coming up, and there's a lot of chat about that. We had a few printer problems which were quickly solved.

Neighborhoods

Maleah: The neighborhoods have been doing well so far. House events have already begun! There have been three so far! The bad news is that there are still some residents who are on thin ice with residence life for not attending required house events per month. On the other hand, however, for Valentine's day, many people got together with their friends and housemates! I've heard an array of stories but seems like the majority had some kind of plans going on!

International Senator

Niraj: The international students are good. They are excited for Top Chef happening on Feb 26. I implore the senators to propagate this event to your constituency as it means a lot to us. Thanks.

Incoming Student Representatives

Gio: Our incoming students have adjusted quite quickly to the start of the spring semester and things are going smoothly so far. Not only have we quickly adjusted to our classes but we've also been adjusting to the climate. Snow's almost gone and the sun is out, spring is in the air for sure. I'm starting to see some people with T-shirts, really crazy. While the snow's still here some students are planning a trip to the mountains one last time.

Campus Vibes

Grace: A couple of vibes. First, One Pine Day is from today until tomorrow. There are a lot of different causes to donate to, and Taylor wants to get the word out about the Senior Class Gift which is a sand volleyball court that would be built in front of Duvall

Jason: For every person that donates \$1 to any cause, \$25 automatically gets donated to the Senior Class Gift which is really cool.

Grace: Also, Casino Night is coming up on March 18th. This is an all hands on deck sort of event, so please raise your hand if you know for sure you cannot work so that I can make the list of dealers for the event. Additionally, the dress code for workers and dealers is formal, so keep that in mind. Dresses, formal shirts, or whatever makes you feel fancy. Lastly, Senators, please ask your constituents what kinds of cool prizes they'd like to see at Casino Night. It's really great to get outside of ASWU perspective.

Gio: Can I gamble as well as deal?

Grace: We will try our best to get enough people to deal so that we can break it up into shifts, because I'd love for you to be able to gamble as well. I will let you know.

Nick: Can people outside of ASWU be dealers?

Grace: I will be reaching out to the AC's to go through residence life to find dealers possibly, but let me know if you have any interested names in general.

Georgia: So because this occurred over Jan Term we missed it but, Happy Birthday Lotanna! She brings so much light to people's lives. The other thing I had was the dates for these events that are all hands on deck. March 18th is Casino Night from 8:00pm-11:00pm and Springfest is Saturday, May 6th.

Jessica: I want to promote an upcoming event. BSU is hosting an event next Saturday, February 25th from 6:30pm-9:30pm in the Hub MPR. It is the Harlem Renaissance. Dress up if you want. There will be a guest speaker and food catered. It will be a lot of fun. Everyone is welcome. Senators please put up your posters.

Haley: Board of Trustees wants to build graduate housing over kippos garden. Myself and EAC want to gather data about if this is something students actually want. We are putting up posters with a QR code. The survey has info about club meetings as well. We would love to hear what you have to say. We are also planning a lot of the Earth Week events in april. We will have events every single day of Earth Week.

Katelynn: Do you want senators to put those up in the residence hall?

Haley: Possibly, if we have enough posters.

Gio: Are there more options to get more tickets for graduation? My sister is graduating and I'm just wondering.

Jason: There is a small chance that there will be another ticket lottery for more tickets.

Gio: I have a story of one of the students I met. He transferred from Gonzaga. Very soft spoken. I offered him some of my fries. I also talked to another student and she said she didn't really feel welcome. I just encourage you to say hi to new faces and be welcoming.

Christian: It's good to let senators know as well so they could reach out or do something as well.

Georgia: Mama Beans is running a Women of Color Conference. There is a big poster out in Lied Square. I'll be talking to Mama Beans shortly if they need any help advertising wise or just logistic wise. Additionally, I was asked by the Women's Leadership Program to promote this. This porgram is looking for more mentees. I am just looking to push that. I believe it's all online if you go look at the womens leadership network. Think about specific passions and issues that you want to address.

Katie: It is voting season soon. Keep an eye out for those that you think would do well in leadership and encourage them to apply, and encourage them to run.

Shoutouts

Katelynn: Shoutout for everyone. I appreciate you guys so much for staying on track in this meeting instead of talking about personal accounts.

Georgia: Shoutout to Sydnee for stepping up into this role.

Christian: I wanted to echo what Georgia said. You stepping up into this role is really amazing. And shoutout to Senators and Representatives for being flexible and adapting well.

Katie: Shoutout to Duvall and Arend leadership and Jade. The Duvarend RA team showed what it means to support and to be in student leadership. Also shoutout to James for being so calming and comforting regarding the fire in Duvall. He helped so much. He was a maintenance guy who was helping us out.

Jason: Two quick ones. Shoutout to Gio, I heard you made it all the way to the downtown campus and didn't know we had moved. Also shoutout to Bobbi Jo and Georgia for making Patches's crown. He is going to look drippy.

Georgia: Shoutout to those working on the Harlem Renaissance event. Shoutout to Niraj and Lotanna for seeing a need in the international student community and addressing and acting on it. I appreciate and admire your ability to stick with it.

Michael: Shoutout to the Duvall RA's. They had a lot on their plate with the fire.

Motioned to adjourn by: Bobbi Jo

Seconded by: Katie

Favor: 14 | Opposed: 0 | Abstaining: 0

Meeting adjourned at 5:59pm