

We, the Associated Students of Whitworth University, are dedicated to representing our diverse student body with integrity, empathy, and respect. By engaging in open dialogue, we aim to cultivate an inclusive and supportive campus community, lead with authenticity, advocate for equity, and strive for every student to feel valued and heard.

Executive Members:	
Isaac Price President	PRESENT
Bobbi Jo Crittenden Vice President	PRESENT
Michael Stavridis Financial Director	PRESENT
Salwa Mehreen Communications Director	PRESENT
Coordinators:	
Chloe Crandell Campus Activities Coordinator	PRESENT
Gwen Brantner Club Coordinator	PRESENT
Sophie St. Jacques Cultural Events Coordinator	PRESENT
Sierra Pauley Senior Class Coordinator	PRESENT
Jude Ruetschle Spiritual Life Coordinator	PRESENT
Aubrey Lathrom Traditional Events Coordinator	PRESENT
Senators:	
Aloisa Morales-Saldana Arend Senator	PRESENT
Abby Ruffcorn Ballard Senator	PRESENT
Baldwin Jenkins Senator	
Eli Roberts Boppell Senator	PRESENT
Jordan Voigt Duvall Senator	PRESENT
Niraj Pandey International Student Senator	PRESENT
Michael Barnes McMillan Senator	PRESENT
Abi Prather Off-Campus Senator	PRESENT
Oliver Senator	
Eli Harris Stewert Senator	PRESENT
Representative:	
Incoming Student Representative	
Incoming Student Representative	
Neighborhoods Senator Representative	
Off Campus Representative	
Off Campus Representative	
Off Campus Representative	
Off Campus Representative	

2024-25 ASWU Meeting Minutes September 4th, 2024

Mission statement read by Eli H

What's up Whitworth

Sierra: Senior stuff was so fun. I think everybody had a blast. It was very cool to see everybody. I got a lot of lot of new followers. Which was great cause I love communicating with my people.

Bobbi: didn't u have a special guest ?

Sierra : Ohh my goodness and the coolest ever patches was there. Very cool very lonely. He hit his head on the underside of his chair Bobbi : patches is fine.

Sierra: Patches is OK. Well technically he hit his hat. I was worried though. We are good. Senior discount cards are highly anticipated as of now and lots of people are excited for the pictures and salwa is gonna upload them by tomorrow. That's it.

Isaac : I had a question. The senior discount cards..

Sierra : In the works. Do you have like a specific question?

Isaac : No, I just wanted to make sure if they are there today.

Sierra : no, since I was hired late, I'm still contacting people. I have called like 11 different places. I baked cookies so that's exciting. Yeah I'm gonna be following up tomorrow and hopefully I can get the cards finished soon .

Isaac : Awsome, thanks.

Michael : I have a question where do I get the photos that were taken with the camera today downstairs with the seniors? Like as an aswu member I can just speak to someone in here, But there are people who are not a part of aswu.

Sierra : yes I will be posting an update today. I mean probably during this meeting actually.

Michael : an update of what?

Sierra: an update like hey here's where you can find it. And I believe salwa it will be on the aswu website right?

Salwa: In events section. Right.

Sierra : Perfect. So yeah I'll be posting about that thank you for reminding.

Bobbi : Sierra you should reach out to Bru. He is the new copy guy

Sierra: I was told to do that already. Cause kenzie also stopped there. There are like ohh have them DM us. So I DM them on my Instagram and Whitworth class 2025 Instagram and they have not replied yet. But one of the seniors works there and I talked to her, I was like hey can you bring that up again. So fingers crossed, the connections will be connectioning

Abi : me myself and other people that are driving have noticed that the parking. No parking here. So, I don't know if they can give us a map of where we can park now. Like I know I think. But if they can give us like a map of where we can park I guess that would be nice.

Bobbi: if you go on Whitworth Parking, they have a map.

Abi : Isn't it all blocked out though? What's crossed out now?

Bobbi : I mean it's all the same. Basically there is more parking on Hawthorne and not BJ's parking lot.

Abi : but it will be nice to know what's not open. You know what I mean? Like this morning I went to back 40 and then the BJ parking lot they were all closed off for constructions now.

Bobbi: I think it's the general area.

Eli ro: Yeah so I already had a lot of residents come talk to me about tickets for parking overnight. Like the hub parking lot. There are no spots like I went there last night I couldn't find any and a lot of the girls were also sketched out at night.

Gwen: sorry a point of information. last year didn't we talked to them about it and they ended up letting people park in C1 overnight or something like that? Because a lot of Bopell residents were like we can't park anywhere.

Todd: I'd suggest that encourage your residents to call security for lifts across the street or whatever they need. They can also call security I know it's not always as easy and it kinda delays stuff.

Sophie: yeah we also had a decent amount of people expressing frustration about it when we were tabling at the club fair .people were expressing frustration obviously with the understanding that even if there is no parking we're still being charged the same amount of we were charged last year with the knowledge that it's not being tracked about the parking or apartments that were given out. And if we were charging the same amount knowing that they can still get ticketed and they might have a further walk , a lot of people are frustrated at that especially because they're getting charged the same amount which is unreasonable considering there is less spot.

Nirjaj: I think we can just call head of security here and talk to them about it. Like in one of our meetings and say like hey this is the situation that has happened every single year now it has gone way worse.

Isac: we can work more on that.

Gwen: well sometimes they decide to monitor things again.

Eli r : they are also super aggressive with it. Like if you are going five over. Like my roommate was going five over on his way to class and they fined him for that.

Bobbi: also if u have a parking pass it will automatically go to your student account.

Isaac: So that is a real thing.

Bobbi: Anyways. Gwen.

Gwen: so basically if you should put this in your newsletters or something, the club leaders do need to attend the club training on Thursday the 12th. So I don't know newsletters or let people know. Because we don't want people to miss it because it's the first one like literally the most important one they can ever go to and then. And I want them to go because I know it's kinda soon and I don't want them to forget that.

Eli : ohh when is it again?

Gwen : it's Thursday the 12th on 5:00 PM at RTT. It should run less than an hour.

Jude: 2 very brief spiritual updates. One in the past the spiritual life coordinator has created a space for prayer and I would like to carry that tradition forward. So in future I'll be in my office for 10 minutes before meeting so please feel free to join me there. So 10 minutes before the meeting begins . And secondly a big part of my job is to kinda help create a spiritual space in ASWU And part of it is because I love getting to talk to people. So please please please feel free to come to my office hours or just talk to me. It's not like you have to agree with all my religious beliefs, it's because if I want to be a support system for all of you so if that means if I can help you kind of slow down and have a cup of tea and talk about what's going on in your life I would love to do that.

Bobbi: anything else?

Student Highlight

Bobbi: Mekenna Simpson. We all know and love mekenna. And I just wanted to highlight her because she is so cool and she did so good for orientation, every event was a hit. Best orientation I've been to it was so smooth. She was always running somewhere, and I think she deserves to be highlighted and she also works at the front desk. So if you see her there, say hi.

Salwa : I just wanted to reiterate the things you need to make sure before sending posters for approval. You need ASWU logo. Event time and date, and location. Contact Email, White box for front desk approval stamp, Event name, Appropriate and creative designs/ imagery. After that please make sure you have completed ERF and reserved a room. If you don't need a room or ERF please mention it in your email.

Financial Director Update

Michael: That's actrually blank for a reason. 1. We haven't decided on a Finance Committee yet. Because we don't have any assignments so if any of you are interested in joining the Finance Committee please let me know. I don't remember the number on top of my head but essentially an even amount of Aswu employees as student. So if anyone has interest please let me know or else obviously it's gonna be assigned to somebody. Also in terms of account totals I just looked and something is wrong and I'm not going to tell you guys what it is right now because the numbers didn't make sense to me so I will talk to you Todd Lauri probably tomorrow and then I will update it next week. But it doesn't make that much of a difference right now because we don't have a Finance Committee so we are not approving requisition anywhere. Good do you have any questions?

Niraj: what was wrong?

Michael: The numbers weren't just right. I don't know that's why I haven't told you anything yet. The point is the numbers that I thought would be there isn't there. And I'm trying to figure out why. So before I tell you guys I wanna find it out myself.

Vice President Update

Bobbi : Hi everybody . CBS meetings , Everyone our senators should come tell me after the aswu meeting had come get your poster. They are pretty self-explanatory but I will explain it to all of you. One on ones, please schedule your one on ones. Outlook calendars might get confusing to you and that's OK. Send me a text or an e-mail. Be like hey when are your office hours and I'll send it to you and you can see ohh we can meet this time and then we can do that. Speaking of outlook calendar it's not confusing to put your whole class schedule in there so please everybody needs to do that Including the coordinators. And make sure you're sending me your newsletters. For newsletters you don't need a box in there just make sure they have all the information that they need.

President Updates

Isaac : I don't have a lot. I am meeting with Rosetta this Friday she really loves getting to know students or what's going on so if you have anything I'll bring all the concerns in the meeting that you expressed today but anything else send out my way and I'll bring it up to her and we can talk about it next week. And today I met with Scott. And lot of what we talked about is general things about the semester but one thing to reiterate is he wants to be informed about the things that are happening about the student body like as they're happening or before they're happening. That's all from me right now as soon as I get committee assignments I'll be talking about those.

Upcoming / Past Events

Aubrey : Hey so bingo night is this Friday so in 2 days. I still need some help. So, if u would like to help, please say so now, so that I know who I have. Right now I have bobbi jo, niraj, eli h, and isaac. I have 4 sure signed up In a certain roles. I need at least two more people to supervise prizes, to get student ID numbers and names, and I need two more people to welcome check in and kind of float around the event.

Aloisa: I can help with the name, what time?

Aubrey : Be there at 7:30 at Cowels auditorium. Michael : I can be a floater.

Jude: I can welcome people. Will you e-mail us with the details?

Aubrey: yes I can

Eli h: does the event start at 7:30 or do you want us to be there at 7:30?

Aubrey: the event will start at 8 so if you guys can be there at 7:30 kind of run through your jobs get updated and be prepared.

Isacc: Is it all hands everybody who are there the entire time? Or is it kinda like a shift?

Aubrey: well the event is about two hours. And they are not really intensive jobs so it won't be super hard it will just kinda just be there for people cause I'm assuming there's gonna be questions or confusion at some point so it's really just being there for that it won't be too intensive given that it's from 8:00 to 10:00 or it might end earlier than that.

Aubrey: I do need one more person. It doesn't have to be now but I can talk to somebody later or I'll come hunt people down.

Eli r: u can talk to me afterwards.

Abi: So I have my off campus bbq on Friday. I just need literally two people with normal probably not small cars to help with pick up. At 4:45. And I need three people with cars for tear downs. Around probably 6 to 6:30. If anyone could help with that That would be great.

Todd: if they don't have cars can they still help? abi : no, I need the cars, That's what I need.

Bobbi: I can probably do pickup, but the problem is I have a car seat in my car and I don't wanna move it.

Abi : That's fine.

Isaac: I can do cleanup. I have a moderately sized car.

Niraj : I could help with teardown but I don't have a car.

Todd: I have a truck, so u can use my truck

Abi : For both ? Nice! yes todd.

Todd: I just want to make it easier for you. so just give other muscly ppl to be there.

Abi : I think that will work then. Bobby Joe what do you think? you have done this before.

Bobbi : I will also bring my car which is pretty big. So I can take like all the food treats and stuff and todd's truck is big enough to fit all the tables and stuff.

Abi : Okay then. Do you think I can fit all the food or treats in your car?

Bobbi: well I think if I am taking my car and you ride in yours and someone takes todd's truck then we can divide it.

Niraj: what time was it from ?

Abi : 4:45 for pick up and then well it really depends on how many people shows up and how many people stay like I don't wanna force them.

Bobbi : well I did two of them and they last for about an hour.

Abi : yeah so 6 for pick up. That's it and please come to my event even if you are not off campus I want you guys there.

Constituency Reports

Arend

Aloisa: Arend has had a fantastic week filled with numerous events that each resident enjoyed. Many residents gathered in the lounge to play pool and ping pong, fostering a sense of community. While there has been a minor issue with residents not picking up after themselves, overall, the feedback has been positive. Residents particularly enjoyed the Yell-off, despite some expressing concerns about it being rigged. The important thing for Arend residents was having fun and sharing joyful moments with friends.

Ballard

Abby: This week I've made a lot of progress connecting with my residents! We have gotten a lot of them involved and it has been really fun to see them connecting to the BMAC traditions Michael and I have named multiple residents. Traditiation went very well and the RAs and I are connecting on another level!

Boppell

Eli Roberts: Boppell residents seem very happy to be back on campus and to get classes started. Many have upgraded to Boppell this year from Baldwin-Jenkins and are very impressed with the hall. RAs crushed it with decorations and the hall is a welcoming environment. Many residents have been leaving their doors open at night and inviting people to come hangout in their shared spaces which I think is so special for this hall. We will be holding our CBS meeting tomorrow night at 9!

Duvall

Jordan: The Duvall constituents are all moved in and getting ready for the swing of things. The first years have done a great job at meeting new people and getting involved in all the fun orientation activities. Duvall is known for having a lot of athletes, so most of the constituents have already been super busy. They all seem enthusiastic about the first day of school.

International Students

Niraj: The international students are doing well. I have met all the new students who have come from various parts of the world, including Palestine, Taiwan, and Vietnam. I believe they have their classes in order. The CDAs and Brett have done an excellent job with the pre-orientation, much like Lulu did for us in the past, so I am confident they are well prepared to start the semester.

McMillan

Michael Barnes: Move-in went smoothly and there are no glaring problems in the dorm. I have been able to meet and connect with a lot of my residents through dinners and orientation events. The traditional events have mostly been positive and all my RA's have made it a really fun and positive experience for all the freshmen. I am currently prepping for milk and cookies which I will give announcements from the ASWU meeting. I have already submitted the paperwork for the BMAC haunted house and am going to get an estimate for the money I will need.

Off-Campus Students

Abi: Off campus is doing great! It was a hot move-in weekend, but we feel ready for this semester. Some of the seniors feel slightly reluctant to go to classes but are ready to go with it being their last fall semester. Our first event is coming up and we're all ready to go with food, games, and prizes!

Stew-Ville

Eli: The residents of Stewart and The Village are getting back into the swing of a new school year. Our returners are easily adjusting back to life on campus and the Village freshmen, after a riveting orientation, are settling into campus life. Everyone seems to have had a smooth first day of classes and we are looking forward to an exciting year of school

Shoutouts

Niraj: This is just an announcement of sort. Next aswu meeting, Sodexo leadership is coming. So if you or your constituents have any questions about dining please ask them.

Michael : he is not here. He is not from Whitworth but I wanted to shout out Brandon. Because he helped out a lot with Loop a Palooza. And when he was around he was always helping out. So you can tell Brandon I said thank you.

Gwen: Shout out to everyone who helped with club fair because that was a little confusing. Also shout out to Tommy chase because he literally carried so many tables during clean up. I couldn't even believe it he was doing 2 at a time I was like how are you ripped you play frisbee. But you know he was really nice. Also can I recruit people for committee right now because I kinda need it right now.

Isaac: yeah

Gwen : Great. I need two people I'm hoping to do them on Friday. Around 4 but that time is also flexible. Also I'm willing to go with your schedule I just really need two people. You are do required to serve at least one committee . And mine is the coolest.

Salwa : What's your Committee?

Gwen : so basically what I do in my club committee is whenever we get a new club request we have to go over there, propose constitution And meet with them about it and approve and move on to aswu vote. Same sort of situation with speakers and artist request. We also review their speaker request and look into the speaker a little bit to see their history or what kind of speeches they do or what they're gonna be doing at the event. Also approve that to go on to aswu. flexible also

Eli r: I would you like to join.

Chloe: I would love to.

Gwen : So we got Eli R and Chloe. thank you guys that's all I needed.

Bobi: It's my turn. I would like to shout out quite a lot of people actually. Abi p was the first one to send me her newsletter. She had it done a week before school started. So that's cool. Abby ruffcorn has her first event already planned. Which is wild and I will be there. I have gotten so many newsletters already and I'm so proud of all of you and Jordan u are doing great.

Sophie: I would love to give shout out to all the aswu executive members who were at the throwback time machine. I heard a lot of good things about it specially from my roommate. Specially michael and bobbi jo, great job on the dance floor. Oh my gosh and Todd.

Todd: just a little bit.

Bobbi : It was todd- tastic.

Sophie: sorry I almost forgot I did not realize that it was in the upcoming events when we ended that. It's an event on I believe sept 20th I still need to get final date from hola club. We are helping them sponsor the Hispanic Heritage Month celebration, super exciting. Basically I wanted to flag that for everyone cause if we can get as many aswu people there as possible, that would be great. Because this is our first cultural event of the year And we really wanna show people that we are interested and excited to work with them. Yes, just wanted to flag that for people.

Bobi: What time?

Sophie: That's TBD. Yeah that's another conversation in terms of organization of the event. We're just paying for the food and flyer. It's an ongoing conversation.

Gwen : I think it's at 6:00. But I do know it is on the 20th cause I reserved it for them.

Niraj: MPR?

Gwen : Yes.

Issac : just wanted to shout out to everyone for all of your hard work, all the time you put in this past weekend. It was really meaningful for the incoming students and we really made a good impression. And also shout out to all the coordinators and senators for just diving right in. It's really cool. Shout out to all of you.

Nirja: On that, umm shout out to Kenzie, McKenna, Lauri and todd. You guys did a really really good job.

Eli r : about the photos for throwback time machine. I just finished editing the photos and I'm gonna get them to salwa in a minute but if any one of you wanted them directly from me then let me know. I can send it to you now or later. There is like 86 photos with I believe. If you are in them I will try to send it to you.

Gwen : sorry I'm talking again. The room request system is not working for a lot of people. So that's like I don't know what you can do about that. But I had to apply for a room for the hola club because they couldn't get in and I heard the same problem from two other clubs that they cannot get in either. So if you guys hear someone they cannot get in I can scheduled events for them and I am willing to do that. So ask them to e-mail me and I can do it.

Niraj: just so you can add this to your newsletter if you want: if you want update on time and event of whitworth dining, follow their Instagram page. I think last year there were a lot of confusions as to where the times were. Just follow whitworth dining. They will have all the answers.

Eli h : do u have a time for hola club event?

Sophie : That is TBD. But it will be on the 20th. And based on what they have told me I believe it will be in the evening. Gwen : sometime between 12 am and 6 pm

Isaac : Just wanted to let everyone know the hydrolic cutter is not working.

Michael : just to take a page from gwen's book. I don't need a number right now. The Finance Committee go through all the requisition, and we approve all the money from now on going forward. I realistically will need 5 people for that. So again think about joining otherwise you will be assigned.

Bobbi jo : Also I have a committee. That hasn't started yet but we do elections. I believe I'm gonna need a four. I think. don't quote me on that. If you wanna join it's like we do it until the election is over. So if you're not running again you're automatically on the committee again. Does that make sense? Also I have mail cards. So when this ends come grab them if you want dinner

Jude: so I actually Also have a committee. No I don't have a committee. I wanted to ask if it would be possible to have a list of all the committees? When they're meeting and where?

Bobbi : We don't have all the committees yet.

Michael : Also a thing about like Finance Committee, generally the reason that I just take people and then they decide the time is cause I'm trying to keep it flexible. Like people's schedules and stuff. Like next semester it's not gonna be the same time. So that's why I usually like II wanna get the people first and then find a time that works for everybody.

Salwa : When you're making the list can you please also add a line about what the committee does?

Bobbi : Yeah

Salwa : Thank you

Todd: Also a reminder, there is a shared calendar in teams. For events when you're coming up with dates. Even if you don't have the times to put in there yet you can start plugging it in the calendars so that people can see it. Yeah just a reminder for communication purposes.

Isaac : Any other shout out?

Bobbi : don't forget your CBS poster. They are in my office.

Motioned to adjourn meeting by niraj

Seconded by eli

Favor: 8 | Oppose: 0 | Abstain: 0

Meeting adjourned at 5:44